Chapter 22

ARABELLA

I watch as Alexander and Joey gather a small group of vampires for another mission. That's it. I've had enough. They don't even look my way when they prepare for their missions. It's like I'm not even an option to them. I want to help. I stand and walk up to Alexander.

"Let me come." If Theo is out there fighting somewhere then I can fight too. Alexander gives me a funny look before turning to Joey and completely ignoring me. I'm about to protest when Joey pulls me away, and outside away from the others. He shoves his hands in his pocket. "What?" I don't like the way he's avoiding eye contact.

"You can't come." What? Did he take me outside so I wouldn't make a scene in front of the others. Alexander comes out the back door, but doesn't walk over to us. "It's a rescue mission."

"Okay?" Why can't I be a part of that? I can fight or at least handle myself in a fight. I proved that when I fought with Alexander, so why are they both looking at me like that? They're hiding something from me. I look between the two of them and a thought occurs to me. "A rescue mission for who?"

"Arabella-"

"For who, Joey?" He doesn't have to tell me. His unwillingness to say the name says it all. I run my hands through my hair and start pacing. How could he have gotten himself captured. He's good at what he does. I just talked to him the other day. There's no way he was captured in such a small amount of time. Oh god, did I even tell him I loved him? I can't remember. "How? I don't understand how he...he's Theo. He can't..."

"They weren't getting anything on who's behind all of this. They thought the best way to get information fast is to get captured...look I don't know a lot of the details but we're headed to the group he's been traveling with to make some kind of plan." On purpose. Why did Theo have to be the one to go?

"Well then I have to go." Joey sighs. "I have to! I can't just sit here and not be a part of this!" He's shaking his head before I even finish.

"I can't risk taking you. You have an awful tendency to do stupid things when it comes to the people you love." I scoff and he raises an eyebrow. "Let's not forget how we ended up with Alexander."

"That was like one time. You don't know Colette. She's a real bitch, I couldn't just let Peter go with her!" That was not stupid. Stupid would have been letting him go to the enemy's side. He's a good guy. He belongs with us.

"How was it you got captured the first time with Theo?" He holds up his hand when I open my mouth. "Theo also told me about what went down with Guinevere."

"None of those were stupid I-"

"You were a human amidst vampires in the last two scenarios. I'd really hate to see what you'll come up with now that you're a vampire." I don't know if anything I say is going to convince him to let me come.

"Please, Joey. I can help. What if I promise not to do anything stupid?" I will get down on my knees if I have to. I can't stay here and feel so useless. Theo needs me and I will not leave his fate in the hands of a bunch of random vampires. "Please."

"Fine."

"Thank you, you-"

"I will give you rules as to what is stupid...you clearly cannot tell the difference between helping others and sacrificing yourself."

---

The drive to Theo's group is what took the longest. Alexander said he knew where Theo was but it would be reckless to just waltz in there. We need to discuss with the others what they know about the place first. But they're at least a week away, which is another week Theo is no doubt being tortured for information about the resistance. I all but fly out of the car when we finally get there.