Chapter 20

ARABELLA

Joey and I sit in the back of the car squished between two vampires. I was planning on being the only one going with them, but Joey had to invite himself. He told them he could tell them where the last councilman is. I wonder if they know they gave away that they haven't found him yet by taking him with us. That has to be good news right? I wonder if he's still in the wreckage of his house. Is that where Theo went?

I don't want to go back there. There's no way I'll make it out of there without him. I don't even know why he wants me back. It could be anything. Joeys leg brushes mine and I discreetly look at him out of the corner of my eyes. He flicks his eyes the guy sitting next to me. What does he want me to do? I glance back at him and he flicks his eyes at the guy sitting next to him. Is he planning on attacking him?

 He suddenly slams his leg into mine. I waste no time in punching the vampire next to me. I reach past him as his hands fly up to his face and unlock the door. It seems Joey is already out of the car. His passenger side door is hanging off its hinges. I move to roll out his side when the vampire grabs my ankle. I use all my strength to kick him with my other foot, but he doesn't let go. Crap. Freakin' vampires. Just before I kick him again he catches my other foot. Well at least Joey got away.

My door is ripped off. I can just make out Joey as he pulls the vampire out dragging me along with him. We hit the pavement hard, rolling several times before coming to a stop. I lift myself up and see the car slam on its breaks. Joey helps me up and pulls me along with him.

"Do you think the others are okay?" I ask as we run. My ribs are protesting at the movement but I have no choice. I hadn't had a big plan to get away, but now that I have there's no way I'm going back.

"Thanks to you...do me a favor and never do that again. Theo left me here to protect you and you're making that really difficult." I stop running.

"Well excuse me for not wanting my friend to go with that crazy bitch." He looks around.

"Arabella, running from bad guys remember?" A tree branch zips by my head. Right. We pick up speed again. I don't know how we're gonna ditch them. Maybe we can out run them, but I don't know. My phone goes off. That could only mean one thing. I pull it out of my pocket. This is the first time he's called me since leaving.

"Theo hey, right now's a really bad time." He sighs.

"What happened? Is Joey with you?"

"Colette stopped our bus for Peter. Oh and that guy that tortured us was there. He's, uh, been looking for us." He growls.

"You left out the part where you gave yourself over to them for Peter." Joey says. Thanks for that.

"Arabella, give the phone to Joey."

"But I-"

"Now." I reluctantly hand Joey the phone. I'm glad he's okay. I don't think I would have ever guessed that Theo would call me first. I smile to myself as I listen to Joey's side of the conversation. I haven't quite gotten my vampire hearing yet.

"I don't know somewhere off of highway 95...We got away but they're chasing..." There's a long pause as Theo talks. If this wind wasn't so loud in my ears I might have been able to hear what he's saying. "We'll lead them...fine. You better warn them." He hangs up and hands me the phone. "We need to go east from here."

"What's over there?" Could Theo be close?

"A safe-house. Theo's informing them of our arrival." I guess that means he's not there. We're running not even for an hour before we come across a fairly large building covered in overgrowth. It looks abandoned. Something comes at me from the side. I'm wrestled to the ground. It's a vampire with long blonde hair held back by a pony. His red eyes bore into mine.