Chapter 46

It takes a couple days to get to Denver. I run the whole way only stopping to eat. As long as I keep moving it will be harder for them to follow me. In Denver I find a small diner to wait in and call Peter.

"Arabella hey. We're still a little ways out where are you?"

"Sam's Diner."

"Alright that's actually closer, we'll see you in twenty minutes." I hang up as the waitress comes to my table.

"Can I get you anything honey?"

"Uh just a coffee. I'm still waiting on some people." I feel like I have to have some excuse for taking up a table for so long. She nods and walks away. I bounce my leg under the table and watch the front doors. I chose the corner booth so I can see the whole diner. The waitress comes back and pours me a cup of coffee before leaving the pot with me. No one can enter or leave without me seeing them. A part of me wants to jump up and leave now. They're going to ask me about Theo. I don't know if I can tell them. I spot them before they see me. Peter brought all of them, Xavier, Valentina, Ian, and Gavin. When they walk in they freeze in the doorway, their eyes wide. I'd forgotten I was wearing a hunters get up.

"It's me." I whisper knowing they'll hear me. Xavier is the first to move and they all follow sitting in the booth with me.

"Why are you wearing that?" Valentina asks with a shiver. "Where's Theo and the others?" There's the question I've been dreading. I swallow hard.

"Well a couple months ago we got separated. Some vampire hunters ambushed us. They kidnaped me and..." I can't bring myself to say it just yet.

"They didn't kill you?" Peter asks in disbelief.

"No they wanted to use me, my powers...I had just gotten away when I called you, so here I am." I know they're going to ask again.

"Why didn't you call Theo?" Xavier finally asks. Tears spring to my eyes and I busy myself with stirring my coffee. "Bella?"

"He's...well he..." Ian puts his hand over mine and I can't stop the tears. They're all shocked. Like me, they probably thought he was invincible.

"How?" Gavin asks. He quickly covers his mouth like he didn't mean to ask out loud. I furiously wipe away the tears.

"When they kidnapped me they surrounded him...there were so many it was like he was covered in darkness." I can't bring myself to tell them what happened after that.

"Are you sure? If he's dead you would feel it." Valentina asks eyes wide. I nod before saying.

"I had a terrible fever and my whole body ached." We sit in silence for awhile ordering some food so we look normal. I just push the food around on my plate. What I could really use is some blood, but now that I'm away from the hunters I don't really want to eat.

"Did they starve you? You're just skin and bones." Xavier asks breaking the silence.

"They didn't want me strong enough to escape." Guess they shouldn't have fed me at all then. I look up from my plate and see they all want to pepper me with questions, but they're trying to be nice.

"What have you guys been doing?"

"They stuck us in another safe house. Like we can't protect ourselves." Ian says bitterly. They may be vampires but they haven't really fought. They lack the experience of Joey or Alexander. I've only seen a few more battles than them. There was the time I spent fighting for my life but they were new vampires too. All I know is I'm tired of fighting. It's just not worth it without him.

"I guess we can't go back now." Gavin adds.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"You never need to apologize. Now lets get out of here." Peter throws some money on the table as we walk out. We drive for a little before they finally ask.

"Shouldn't we tell them you escaped?" It's Valentina who asks. "They could be looking for you. I would have already told them but they have new numbers. You know them don't you?" I sigh. I do and I know I should have called but then I'd have to tell them about Theo. I dial Joey's number on the phone I stole and hand it to her. I'd rather not talk to him right now.

"It's Valentina...yeah we're fine. We wanted to let you know Arabella is safe. She's with us..." She glances back at me and tries to hand me the phone. I shake my head.

"Uh guys." Peter says glancing in the rearview mirror. I look behind us and see a black car with tinted windows. "I think we're being followed." He makes a couple odd turns and we watch while they follow.

"I'm gonna have to call you back." Valentina hangs up. It must be the hunters because the council is dead. Peter pulls onto the highway. How did they find me? They follow close on our tail.

"Uh Peter." I say as they speed up and slam into our bumper. We lurch forward and Peter steps on the gas.

"Bella we have traffic up ahead!" Valentina yells as they hit us again. I freeze everything but our car. The fact that the car behind us keeps moving proves that they're hunters. Peter weaves in and out of cars till he reaches the shoulder. He puts the pedal to the floor half driving on grass and half road. The hunters have no trouble keeping up with us. The phone I gave Valentina starts to go off. She ignores it and points ahead of us to an exit.

"There!" There's a line of cars waiting to get off. At the stoplight ahead the cars are frozen while turning left. Peter waits till the last minute to take the exit and the phone goes off again. The tires lift off the ground on the left side before slamming back onto the ground. We just make it through the gap between two cars turning left clipping the mirrors on either side. As soon as we're through I unfreeze everything. The hunters slam on their breaks but still hit the car in front of them. The phone goes off again and I answer it in frustration.

"We're a bit busy, we'll call you back." I hang up as Peter makes some random turns before we ditch the car.

"Now what?" Ian asks looking around nervously.

"We've gotta get out of town without them noticing." Valentia responds peeking around he corner.

"Already on it." I freeze time around us and bust the window out of a nearby car. The hunters already know we're here. They shouldn't be able to find me even if I use my powers. I get to work hotwiring the car. It springs to life and they all hop in. It seems like my morals are taking a hit today but I'm not going to allow my friends to die because I won't steal. "Ditch your phone." They all toss them out the window while I get back on the highway.

I wonder how they found me. Once I got in my friends car they shouldn't have been able to follow me. Were they already watching my friends? If that's the case then they're in danger. I hadn't planned to meet up with the others but they need protection not to be in some safe house alone. I drive the whole day only stopping for gas. So far it looks like we lost them. When night falls I have Peter get one of those prepaid phones. I hesitate before calling Joey.

"Joey it's me. We need to know where you are?"

"Arabella! Are you okay? What happened?"

"We were followed by hunters, but I think we lost them." I'm not sure if he meant what happened when Valentina hung up or when I was captured but I won't talk about the latter. Not until I absolutely have to.

"We're in Wyoming right now but we're about to head for Nebraska. Just head that way and I'll call you with details in a couple hours...Bella Theo-"

"No! I'll talk to you later." I hang up and grip the steering wheel. Not yet I can't talk just yet.