Chapter 19

ARABELLA

It's been a couple weeks since Theo left. Today we're packing up everything and heading out to the new safe-house. When we're all piled into the small bus a couple of the people burned down the building. They said they didn't want anyone to find anything that would lead them to us. We weren't sure that anyone was after us, but it's better safe than sorry. There's nobody after them, but I'm pretty sure they might be looking for Theo and me. I lean my head against the window as Xavier sits next to me. I haven't really talked to him since I got back.

"Hey." I hum in response. I guess I can't really ignore him when he's right next to me. "How are you?" That's a loaded question Xavier. Theo left and I have no idea where he is or if he's alive and I can't bring myself to call him.

"I'm fine." I say looking at him. His green eyes study me. I can tell he doesn't believe me. He puts his hand over mine. What we had feels like so long ago. I feel so bad but I don't think of him that way anymore. I don't know when it happened, but there's nothing here anymore. I don't move my hand though. I don't want to tell him yet. Not here around so many people. Peter leans over the back of my seat.

"I'm still not used to you being a vampire. Unless I see your eyes it's easy to forget." He says.

"Are you okay with it?" Xavier asks. I give him a small smile.

"I didn't want it, but it's not so bad now." It took some getting used to, but I think I can live like this. Even with the blood drinking. That is if Theo makes it back to me. I don't know that I can live forever without him. I glance down at the phone in my hand. He's the only number on the phone and he's on speed dial. It wouldn't take that long to call him. It would be easy. Xavier waves his hand in front of my face.

"Earth to Bella. I asked if you knew where we were going?" I shake my head. The vampires here were very skimpy on the information they gave us. We are just expected to follow any order they give. It's just Erica, Beth, Josh, Cody, and Joey who Theo left to protect me. I confronted Joey about this and asked him to go with Theo. I want someone there that I can trust with him. Joey refused and Theo left with the couple other vampires in the group. The ones here are those who are attached to my friends. It seems they do not want to leave their humans behind.

We ride for hours in silence while the vampires in the front talk in hushed whispers. The bus suddenly comes to a sketching halt and I throw my arms in front of me to brace myself. Before the bus even comes to a complete stop. I duck down when I see who it is. He's one of the vampires that attacked the councilman's house. In fact he's the one I tried to ambush on the second floor before I was captured. If I recognize him then surely he would recognize me.

"Peter." A familiar female voice calls out as she boards the bus. "Be a doll and come with me." She came all this way for Peter. I peek at Colette over the seat. She's standing at the front of the bus with several other vampires. They seem to be keeping the others from doing anything. I see Peter stand and make his way into the aisle.

"No!" I jump and stand in his path. "You can't go with her." I don't know what she wants him for, but I can't let him go to their side. Who knows what they'll do to him over there. Colette growls and the vampire that I recognize chuckles.

"Well, well, well." He says his smile growing wider. "We've been looking for you. The boss man isn't too happy with the way you left things."

"He deserved what he got. How long did it take you to find him?" I ask crossing my arms. I hope he was chained to that wall for days. He deserved so much worse than that. He's lucky I didn't let Theo kill him.

"Where's your friend?" He asks.

"Yes, where is Theo?" Colette echoes sneering at me. When I don't answer she takes a step towards me.

"Arabella just let me go. I'll be fine." Peter whispers from behind me. I glance to Joey. His face gives away nothing and he has a particularly bulky vampire boxing him in.

"I can't do that. Besides now that they've seen me they aren't just going to leave." I don't even know if they were planning on leaving peacefully to begin with. For all I know they have this bus surrounded by more vampires. "Sit down, Peter." He doesn't argue, but it seems he's not sure what to do so he moves back to his seat but doesn't sit down.

"You bitch, you cannot tell him what to do!" Colette shrills. I take a step forward. I can feel the tension in the air. Colette pulls out a knife spinning it a few times in her hand before throwing it at me. I move to the side but it grazes my cheek. I see the glint of another, but the guy next to her grabs her arm.

"He wants her alive." He pries the knife from her hand. So she isn't the ring leader here. It must be him. What would Theo do if he was here? He probably would have already taken them out. If I can get them off the bus the others should be safe. Okay I can do this. I glance again at Joey and give him a wink. He shakes his head ever so slightly. Sorry but I have to do this.

"I'll go quietly if Peter stays." That gets a rise out of those behind me.

"There's no way-" Colette starts.

"Deal." Colette protests more, but clamps her mouth shut when someone else boards the bus. My blood runs cold and I can feel my knees go weak. I casually place my hand on the seat next to me for support. How can he have this effect on me? I stand up straighter and put a smirk on my face.

"I see they unchained you after all. You deserved to rot down there."