Chapter 23

ARABELLA

It's a couple hours before we're supposed to infiltrate the building. Everyone else is inside and I opted to take guard duty outside. I can't stand to listen to them list out all the different possibilities and what they would do if they found Theo dead. I close my eyes. All I can think about is what it felt like when I thought I'd killed him. I glance down at the gun in my hand. I can't stop my hands from shaking. Someone places their hand over mine.

"You're not a very good guard." Alexander says.

"I don't know how you guys can all be so calm about this." He lets go of my hand and gives me a lopsided smile.

"Years of experience. Emotions just get in the way. That's why we didn't want you to come." I shake my head.

"You guys are wrong. In some ways emotions can get in the way, but they can also give you strength." When I thought Theo was dead I felt stronger than I ever had. Grief and rage fueled me.

"It also makes you reckless." I shrug. Sometimes being reckless is the only way to save those you love.

"I'm not the only one acting out...how old is Rebecca?" I can't help but ask. I shouldn't let her get to me but I also can't stop thinking about what that guy said. Alexander gives me a knowing look before answering.

"Old enough to know better." My hopes fall. "Don't go assuming things." What am I supposed to do? Theo and I have been apart for a long time. I thought he loved me, but when I hear things like that I can't help but think the worst. I mean he was kissing me when he was still with Colette. Joey appears in front of us.

"It's time."

---

"This is crazy." The guy, I think they said his name was Vlad or something. I was supposed to learn all their names before this mission but I was too distracted by other things. "This is way more security than usual." This was supposed to be a shift change, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. Rebecca gets back from recon shaking her head. It seems there isn't going to be an easy way to get into the building.

"We might have to come back." Alexander says leaning against the short wall we're hiding behind. "This place is crawling with guards."

"No." Rebecca and I say at the same time before glaring at one another.

"The longer we stay here the more likely we'll get caught." Joey says. I turn around and peek back over the wall. They've got a couple spot lights running across the large yard but I doubt vampires need them to see anyone. It's probably just to scare off humans. If they could just get inside then this might work. I glance at Joey.

"Did we ever define what would qualify as stupid?" There's got to be about twenty guys out there. I bet I could lure them all away. They might not set off an alarm for one person. I can probably pass for a human if I could just find away to hide my eyes. "Does anyone have shades or something?" Joey studies me as one of the guys tosses me some sun glasses. "How about a flask or..." I trail off as the same guy tosses me a flask. "Really?" I say.

"See this is why I didn't want you to come along. Whatever it is you're thinking right now is stupid." I give him the biggest smile I can muster as I slip on the shades.

"Get Theo out for me, okay?" It's true vampires can sense one another but I'm hoping my newly changed status makes it harder for them to tell I'm one too.

"Arabella no." Alexander says when I stand. "Get down." He reaches for me but I hop over the wall and start walking towards the building.

"I won't forgive you if you don't get him out alive." I twist off of the lid of the flask and take a swig. Ew, vodka. I jog up as far away from the others as I dared. I can't be caught too close to them. "Whoa this place looks awesome!" I say adding in a stumble as I make my way towards the nearest guard.

"Who are you?" He shouts pointing his gun at me. I hold my hands up and pretend to wobble on my feet as I take another swig from the flask. Come on buy it. I think as I give him another goofy smile. I see another guard approach him.

"What's going on over here?" He asks.

"Just some stupid human."

"You guys have got to tell me where to get a water gun like that. It looks so real!" I move forward to touch it and pretend to trip, falling into the guards. "No bones!" I shout as I go limp and force them to hold me up. The commotion is attracting the attention of several of the guards around us.

"Oh come on. I don't have time for this." They say and drop me to the ground. I straighten out my shades and make a show of trying not to let the flask spill.

"Dude you almost made me spill my drink." I pout as a couple more guards come over to check this out.

"Why don't you just kill her." One says. Well that's not what I want. He holds up he gun and points it at my head. I hold up my hand and make a gun with my fingers.

"Pew, pew." I say and let out a loud giggle.

"No you idiot." Another says. "Boss man says we can't just go around killing humans yet." I relax a little and try to stand, but dramatically stumble into another guard. I want to look back at the others to see if they're taking advantage of my distraction, but I know I shouldn't.

"Just go home." I scratch my head smiling.

"I'm actually lost. My friends and I were driving along the highway. They pulled over so I could pee and..." I take another swig. "I thought I saw a deer. I wanted to pet him." One of the guards spin me around and points.

"The highway is back that way." I can't leave now. What if the others didn't try to get inside. I discreetly glance around. It looks like I've lost some of the attention of some of the guards. Crap. Maybe I didn't do good enough.

"But wait!" I slur. "I didn't actually pee...I hate peeing outside. That looks like a nice house. Can I pretty please use your bathroom." I tip my flask over to show them that it's empty. "And maybe get a refill."

"No, now get going!" He shoves me forward with the tip of his gun. I cross my legs and bounce around a little bit.

"Dude I'm gonna pee myself." He sighs. Him and another guard grab my arms and practically drag me towards the house. "Oh man thank you."

Inside I don't find many guards right inside and they turn to the left away from where the basement should be. We pass a couple of guards who are chatting it up. They must think that they're guards outside will have this covered because I don't see another guard the rest of the way to the bathroom. The guy open the door and shoves me in.

"Hurry up."

"Wait." I hand him my flask. "How about you fill me back up for the trip?" He sighs and snatches the flask from me and slams the door in my face.

"Escort her out when she's done. I'm going back outside." I hear one of them say through the door. So I just need to shake off one. That I might be able to do. I open the toilet and make gagging noises.

"Aw dammit!" I shout before quickly taking off my shirt and hiding it behind my back. "Hey could you help me!" The guard tentatively opens the door. "I puked all over my shirt, can I have yours?" I say taking a step towards him and pushing my chest out. He looks me up and down before a creepy smile spreads across his face.

"Sure I can help you out." He shoves me roughly against the wall pinning my hands above my head. I try not to let my fear show and let out a giggle. He reaches for my pants and I press my body against him. He lets my arms go now that he knows I'm not going to fight him. I bite my lower lip and run my hands through his hair before placing my hands on either side of his head. In one quick motion I hear his neck snap. I let him fall to the ground and shiver. I can't believe I did that!

This is for Theo I think as I pull off his uniform. After I put it on I shove him into the shower and close the curtain. I doubt they'll find him for awhile. I think as I stuff my hair in the hat. They might have female guards here but I don't want to risk it. Okay I'm coming Theo.