Chapter 51

ARABELLA

I collapse in bed. I spent weeks working with her and I'm tired all the time. I can't seem to do anything but let her work on me and sleep. I can't wait till she's done. Theo spends most of his time with me making sure I eat before I pass out. He hands me the glass of blood and his fingers brush mine. My eyes go wide. Did I just touch him? I set the glass down and reach for his face. His eyes close as my fingers brush his cheek. I smile and throw my arms around him.

---

After last night I feel like I can finally breathe. I sit in the morning to get some of my knots worked out and in the afternoon I hunt with Theo. I've smiled so much I feel like my face will get stuck that way. I even sit in on some of their meetings about the vampire hunters. It makes me nervous that they've gotten so close to our base, but as far as they can tell they don't know we're here. Vlad is already making arrangements to move to a bigger hideout as well as finding someone to get rid of my powers. After the meeting is over Peter pulls me to the side.

"Hey, can we talk?" I've no idea what he wants, but he sounds serious. I know I haven't been spending much time with them, but I think it's better this way. The closer I am to them the more danger they're in and the truth is we've just drifted apart this past year. We're no longer safely tucked away in a vampire's apartment. We're practically on the run. I nod and let him steer me away from the others. I'm not surprised to see the others waiting in another room for me. I look around at all of them feeling like I'm in an intervention. I don't sit.

"We've missed you." Valentina says giving me a hug. I can't help but feel like an outsider. I've drifted away from them, but they've all gotten closer. I try not to let it bother me. I'm the one that wants to cut them out.

"Yeah." I say stiffly. "So what's this about?"

"We wanted to see how you were, and seeing as how you've been avoiding us..." Xavier says.

"Look guys, I'm fine. I know I freaked you out, but I'm good now. You really don't have to worry."

"We know what you're doing." Ian says and he can't hide the anger in his tone. I don't even bother lying.

"It's for the best."

"For who? We get to decide when it's too dangerous for us, not you."

"You don't understand. He was here, threatening you guys because of me." They just don't understand. I do love them and I can't have anyone else's head on my hands. Guinevere and all those vampires I had to kill is enough.

"Bella we don't care. We knew when we signed up to live with vampires things were going to be dangerous. We don't need you to protect us." Xavier says standing.

"All we're asking is that you don't pull away just because you think you're putting us in danger. We're your friends. Don't push us away." Peter adds. I shake my head. Why are they making this so hard?

"No" I start to walk out of the room. "Maybe when my powers are gone, but now...I just can't." I leave before they can say anything else. I don't need this right now. I thought things were going well. I just got Theo back and that's all I need. If I could live without him I would. I know I'm also putting him in danger and I feel selfish for wanting him so close to me. Everyone deserves someone, right? No matter how bad you might be for them? I jump as Theo covers my eyes with his hand.

"Sorry, you're not so easily snuck up on. Is everything okay?" He asks turning me around to face him. I burry my face in his chest.

"Just the others. They won't let me cut them out so easily." He sighs.

"They're good for you, you know. As much as I'd like you all to myself, you need them too."

"I'm not good for them." Why can no one see that? He holds me at arms length.