Chapter 31

ARABELLA

The whole room is silent. I don't think either side is willing to start the fight. We just want to get out of here. Someone appears in front of us. Theo pushes me behind him. It's hard for me to object when I'm so tired. I know they need me to help them, but all this nonstop fighting for, well I don't even know how long I've been doing this. After protecting my friends I just want all of this to stop. I peek around Theo.

"I'd like to help." It's that guy that was talking to me before I was shoved into the arena. I'm surprised to see a handful of other vampires join him. A snap echoes throughout the room and the vampires in the stands attack. I don't think I can do this. My legs start to wobble and I have to grab Theo's shoulder to keep myself up. Come on Bella you need to help them.

"Just take it easy. We'll be fine." Theo says. He's wrong. These guys may be on our side but I don't know how many people are still loyal to him. I can't imagine why considering the way we were created. I think I can do this one last time I can get us out of here without having to fight. I concentrate one last time. I wake up Theo first. "I told you you didn't need to do this." He says as I walk over and wake up Alexander. I move through the as many of the ones that said they were on our side. If I don't get all of them they won't be in too much trouble. I can't save them all right now.

"Go, get out." I say as I turn for the exit. I can feel my grip on time weakening. "Tell me who." I say as Theo and Alexander help me through the line of vampires. We manage to get halfway out of the room before I can't hold on anymore. Crap. Theo scoops me up as my legs give out.

"He's going to get away." Vlad says appearing next to us. This was a bad plan. Why would they come back into a lions den. They were out and safe.

"We have what we came for." A vampire flies past us slamming into the bleachers. He doesn't get back up. I glance around. It looks like the others are keeping them at bay for the time being. But there's not that many of us since I was able to get so many out. An arrow zips by my head. Theo manages to to side step it, but it still grazed his arm. It's that crazy arrow girl that helped captured me. If I wasn't so tired I would get her back for all those arrows. "Let's go." I can feel my eyes slipping shut.

---

When I wake up I'm in the back of a bus, laid across the back seat. Everything hurts. I sit up. It takes me a minute to notice that Theo is sitting next to me. My head was resting in his lap. He gives me a weak smile as he looks me over.

"I'm fine." I assure him. He pulls me closer to him and I'm practically sitting in his lap. I look to the front of the bus. I'm embarrassed to find that almost everyone's eyes are on us, but Theo doesn't seem to be paying any attention to them.

"Don't do that ever again." He whispers in my ear. I can't make him any promises. I'd do anything to make sure the ones I care about are safe. He lets out a sigh and shakes his head at me. "What am I going to do with you?" Oh right. I've had such little contact with other people that I almost forgot they could read my thoughts. Those that got close enough to me didn't live long enough to realize what was happening. I can't believe I killed all those people. If I went back to before my parents died and I told myself this is where I was going to be in a couple years I don't think I would have believed it.

"How many people got out?" I ask. They came in there to get me. I want to know how many died for me.

"We haven't been able to do a head count yet...because of you a lot more made it out." I scan the bus. It's mostly full of people I know. My friends are sitting not too far up and the people I met at the safe house are here too. Then there are a couple of people I don't know too well, like the guy from the arena and...Gavin?