A Midnight Call

I went home around eleven incase I'd bump into Damien again. As soon as I got home I felt so lonely. Don't get me wrong, my apartment was gorgeous but sometimes I felt empty all by myself.

I went into my room and laid on my bed looking out the window. I could see most of L.A   It was all lit up giving the city a warm yellow glow. The sky was so dark it was almost black and there wasn't a single star. I wondered if I could find Shaynes apartment. Just at that moment, as if by fate, my phone buzzed.

I looked down to see Shayne was ringing me. I felt like a little teenager again. I sprawled across the bed. "Hey, I just wanted to say thanks again for helping me tonight." He rang just to say that? "You know it would have been easier to send that in a text!" I could hear a scoff over the other side of the phone. I could imagine Shayne's stupid smirk. "I just wanted to hear your voice again."

I bit my lip and smile so much I could feel my dimples nearly digging into my mouth. "Well what do you wanna talk about?" I said rolling over into my stomach. "Hmm, you!" Man he could be so damn charming! "Are you gonna do anymore acting now that you're shows ended?" I sighed at the thought of auditions and scripts.

"Well my agent did bring me a script for a musical. Apparently they were looking for a singer with red hair and I don't know if I can fill that category!" Shayne chuckled on the other side of the line. "What is it, Annie?" "Ughh you're so stupid! It's moulin rouge if you must know!"

"Bobbie that would be perfect for you! Why don't you audition for it?" I honestly didn't know why. It wasn't like I was nervous or didn't like the script, I just had other things on my mind. "Let's wait for your call back first, then I'll think about it!"

There was a moment of silence between us. The strange thing was it wasn't awkward. It felt natural and comfortable. Shayne was the first to break the silence saying, "can you send me in a link of our song? I want to listen to it tomorrow before my audition." I said I would and was just about to ask Shayne a question when he interrupted me again. "Wait, can you sing it for me instead?" "What now?" I laughed at the idea. "Do you want me to do well in my audition tomorrow or not?" "Shayne this is pure bribery!"

He sounded like a tired child as he begged me saying "please!" I gave a sigh of defeat and walked into the a room in my apartment where I keep all my instruments. I set the phone down on the piano and put it on loudspeaker. I made excuses for my voice as I knew it wouldn't sound great so late at night. "Just play already!" I did as I was told and started singing.

The song was short so it didn't take long for me to sing it. "Now that wasn't so bad was it?" I chuckled and waited for Shayne to respond. There wasn't any answer for what seemed like ages. Then the empty void of the conversation was filled by Shayne snoring. I laughed quietly trying not to wake him. "Good night Shayne!"

I hung up the phone and went back to my room. I pulled out some headphones from my bedside table and plugged them into my phone. The harsh white light from my phone was the only source of light in my room. I scrolled through my playlist on Spotify trying to find something to listen to. My finger stopped on the old school r&b playlist from earlier that night. Later on I fell asleep listening to it and thinking of Shayne.