Activate the Protocol

I had a few jobs to do around the city and then I went to the gym so by time I got home it was 9:12. I walked into the apartment, pushing the door open with one hand and carrying bags on shopping in the other. The whole place was pitch black. "Anyone home?" I called out into the darkness. I kicked the door shut behind me and threw my keys into the small blue dish.

I found my way into the kitchen trying not to trip over anything. I put the shopping down on the counter and flicked on the light. "Jesus!" I jumped seeing Shayne sitting across the way at the breakfast bar. "Why were you sitting in the dark?" I asked half giggling as I begun to take the groceries out of the bag. I glanced up and noticed a bottle of whiskey with the cap off. Taking a closer look I saw Shayne had a glass on the counter and was circling the lip of it with his index finger.

"Shayne, are you drinking?" I gasped placing my hand on the counter. "Is it obvious?" He scoffed sarcastically and held the glass up to his lip and sipped on the gold liquid. I huffed and made my way over to him. He was pouring more into his glass when I ripped the bottle from his hands. "I wasn't finished with that!" He growled. I placed it back in the cupboard and went back to Shayne.

Picking the glass up and moving it out of the way I swivelled Shayne around and squatted next to him. "Hey," I said softly and moved his chin so he was looking down at me. "What's wrong? You can tell me. Did I say something wrong earlier, is that why you're upset?" Shayne said nothing, instead he turned his head away. My voice started to choke slightly. "Okay. If I said something wrong you have to tell me Shayne. And for whatever I said I'm sorry and I don't want to hurt you."

I rose up and lifted my hand to my eye and wiped away a tear that had started to collect on my eyelid making my vision blurred slightly. I begun walking away but I felt a light grip hold onto my wrist. I turned my head back to Shayne. His eyes were still looking at the floor. "It's my fault." He hummed lifting his head up. "I'm so stupid to believe Courtney over you! And I'm sorry for making you feel like something was your fault."

I took a step closer and pulled him into my chest. "It's okay honey." I whispered as I rubbed the back of his head. "Bobbi," Shayne asked pulling back slightly. "I've been thinking." He begun. I chuckled "that's not a good idea!" I went to kiss him but he stopped me putting his hands on my shoulders. I paused slightly confused. "What's up now?" I asked scared of the answer. "I don't think this is working." Shayne stated his eyes scanning all over my face looking at every movement with detail.

"What do you mean not working?" I was petrified. Did he mean us? I looked at him for an answer or any body language to tell me what he was on about. He let out a big sigh and hunched his shoulders. He held onto my hands and looked back at me. "The two of us, it's not working. I think it'll be good if we take a break from each other." He explained quite coldly but I could see his eyes tearing up slightly.

I went out of Shayne's grasped and went to the counter were I had my bag. "Umm I just remembered that I have to go to Olivia's and pick up something." I stuttered. "Can we talk about this in the morning. Thanks!" I said running out the door. Maybe he was saying that because he was drunk. All I knew was I had to get out of there before I started crying.

I hopped into my range and connected my phone to the Bluetooth. I backed out of the garage and immediately rang Olivia. "Hey babe!" She answered. I opened my mouth to talk to her but no words came out. Nothing. All I could hear was music playing from Olivia's side and my shaky breath. "Woah are you okay?" She panicked. I stopped at a red light that reflected back into the car. "Umm, is it okay if I come over?" I asked, my voice cracking.

All I could think in my mind was 'please say yes'. I could hear Olivia stutter. "Of course! Get right over here!" There was a little pause. I knew she was going to hang up. "Olivia?" I mumbled as the light turned green. "Thank you!" She sighed. "Anything for you babe!" She hung up and I continued driving in silence.

I got up to Olivia's apartment and knocked on the door. It opened almost instantly and I saw Olivia slide on the floor and threw her hand up in the air. "Ta-da! I got everything ready!" She cheered. I chuckled looking at the spread she had out. We called it the 'protocol'; popcorn, fluffy socks, pjs, sweets, chips and movies. We each had an emergency supply in one another's apartment.

I walked in and sat down on the couch. "What's the situation? 10 things I hate about you? Sweet home Alabama?" She walked closer and rubbed her hands together. I took a handful of popcorn and sighed. "I think we're in between  a 'Legally blonde' and 'Bridget Jones' situation." I mumbled and threw the popcorn in my mouth.

"What no! We've only had to watch them once!" Olivia gasped. "You get changed and I'll get everything sorted."

I came out in cosy pjs and told Olivia everything over the sweet voice of Reese Witherspoon. "Wait so he broke up with you? Even after everything he's done! I'm going to kill him!" She said shovelling the chips into her mouth. I chuckled knowing all too well she was telling the truth. "Well I don't know for sure, he was pretty drunk. But something's telling me that he's right. All we seemed to be doing lately was fighting!" I scoffed.

"Well do you want to break up with him?" Olivia asked lightly with her focus on the movie. "Well.." I started but jumped when she patted my arm. "I love this part!" She exclaimed and left me lost in my thoughts. I felt so confused, maybe I did.