Two Worlds Collide

Jade was a nerd. Everyone knew it, her teachers, her parents, her peers and her friends, but she was ok with that. She knew where she fit in in her school and she liked it. She didn't care that she wasn't one of the popular one because quite frankly they were too full of themselves anyway and Jade was not like that at all. To those who didn't know her she was quiet, she kept to herself mostly, kept out of other peoples way, she had learned that school is easier that way. She didn't have many friends, except Jesy who was a little older and didn't go to her school.  She had her books to keep her company for when Jesy wasn't around.  She got bullied a bit in school, teased by the popular kids for being the smart one, the geek as they called her. Jade had learned to live with it though, avoiding them as much as she could.

The school bell rang and Jade was glad to finally go home, she ha
d planned to go out with Jesy and some of her friend from school for to start the weekend. She made her way to her locker but just as she turned the corner she saw Perrie and her gang walking towards her. Perrie slammed Jade's books out of her hand, 'Have a good weekend geek' she said as she walked away. Jade scrambled to the ground picking up her books, at least it would be another three days until she say them again.

Jade decided to go to the liquor store on the way home, she wanted to get some drinks for the night she had planned.  She drove into town and parked nearby. As she walked towards the store she say a gang of people outside, all boys except one. As Jade got closer she realised that the girls face was familiar, it was Perrie, the schools bitch again. It took her a minute to realise the other boys didn't seem so friendly, they were shouting things at Perrie, words Jade could never repeat. One boy pushed her against the wall and before Jade knew it she hear a smack and saw Perrie fall to the ground. The other boys stood around her laughing, the boy who had hit her, kicked her fragile body as it lay on the ground, she was helpless. Jade ran over and shouted at them to leave her alone, the boy who hit her laughed and turned to Perrie, "She's way out of your league" he said to her before walking away.

Jade ignored the comment as she had no idea what he was talking about and rushed to Perrie's aid. "Are you ok?" Jade asked kneeling beside Perrie.  "I.. um.. I'll be fine" she replied. Jade had never seen Perrie look so vulnerable, in a way Jade liked it, not the fact Perrie was hurting, but she seem innocent in a way. "You're bleeding! That was a proper punch you took" Jade said helping Perrie to her feet. "Is there someone I can call to help or come and get you?" Jade asked pittying the broken looking girl in front of her. "No my parents are away for the week, it's fine, I'm ok I can walk" Perrie tried to move but flinched with the pain, this didn't go unnoticed to Jade. "Come on, my car is just around the corner". Perrie was in too much pain to question Jade.

"Where are you taking me?" Perrie asked. "Home" Jade replied. "But this isn't the way to my house" Perrie replied confused. "I meant my house, you're pretty banged up,  I can't leave you alone". 
"Why're you being so nice to me?" Perrie asked, still looking  so fragile, Jade had forgotten all the hatred she had felt towards Perrie. "You look like you could use someone's help" Jade replied, the two were quiet for the rest of the journey home.

Jade helped Perrie out of her car and into the house, "My folks are away for the weekend too so it's just us" Jade said as she walk into the kitchen and took something out of the freezer "here's an icepack for your nose" Perrie took the icepack from her "Thanks!". "You should probably lay down on the sofa or something" Jade said as she made her way into the next room. As Perrie moved on the sofa her shirt rode up a bit revealing black and blue skin underneath which made Jade gasp, "Where did you get those bruises? That couldn't have just happened today?" Jade asked. "Oh it's nothing" Perrie replied, not daring to look Jade in the eyes. "Don't give me that, I know you don't like me, but you can still talk to me, I won't tell anyone, I'm not a bitch" Jade said, half regretting being so harsh. "I know you're not" Perrie replied and continued to tell Jade everything. The boy who beat her was her ex boyfriend, Perrie said that she broke up with him a few weeks ago because he abused her, constantly. He hadn't bothered her much since they broke up, only once before today. Jade was shocked with what Perrie was telling her. Coming from the popular girl at school this was a lot to take in. "Wow, Perrie I'm so sorry that is horrible" Jade replied, not knowing what else to say. Perrie had tears coming from her eyes as she told her story to Jade, nobody else knew he beat her, she didn't tell anyone else, she's the popular one in school, she isn't supposed to get pushed around by some boy. "I'm sorry for loading you with all that, I know you don't care" Perrie replied. "I do, I care" Jade replied. "Why? I've always been so mean to you?" Perrie questioned her. "Well, when you're not being mean, like now, you're actually decent" Jade said with a smirk on her face making Perrie laugh. "Well thank you, for helping me. I'm sorry I've been so horrible to you" Perrie replied. "It's ok, I'm the schools geek, easy target, I get it" Jade replied. "You really don't give yourself enough credit" Perrie replied. Jade gave her a confused look. "Well.. you're gorgeous and kind, my friends have seen some of my bruises before when I've slipped up at hiding them, they've never even bothered asking. I'm not sure they even care" Perrie explained. Jade blushed at the compliment, "Why're you friends with them?" she asked and Perrie shrugged.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" Jade asked after a while. "Sure" Perrie replied. "Harry Potter?"
Jade asked hopefully and Perrie laughed. "What's so funny?"she asked. "You really are a geek!" Perrie teased and Jade stuck her tongue out. "It's cute though" Perrie almost whispered but she was sure Jade had heard her as she saw Jade crack a smile.
Jade sat on the sofa with Perrie as they watched the first Harry Potter. After a few minutes Jade's phone buzzed. "Shit!"
Jade said. "What's wrong?" Perrie asked. "I was supposed to go out with my friend Jesy and some of her school friends tonight, I completely forgot". "Oh.. I'm sorry, I can go, you go out with your friend, you don't want to be stuck here with me' she replied. "No no it's fine I'll just tell her I have to cancel" Jade replied settling back down on the sofa.

Perrie wasn't really interested in the movie, it wasn't her kind of thing. Plus she kind of liked looking at Jade, she was thought Jade was pretty but she had never noticed just how pretty Jade was. Perrie watched Jade as she looked at the screen intently, she couldn't help but smile at how beautiful the older girl looked.  Before Perrie knew it the movie was over and they decided it was time for bed. Jade told Perrie to take her bed and she'd sleep in her parents room.  Jade walked into her room where Perrie was already settled in bed. "Do you need anything?" Jade asked. "No" Perrie replied. Jade went to walk away but Perrie continued, "Thanks for today, it um it really means a lot to me that you helped me, after how I have acted towards you I'm surprised you didn't just ignore me" Jade sat on the bed as Perrie continued to talk, "Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I'm grateful and that you don't deserve it. My friends are jerks, I know I'm not much better, but you're a great person and well.. you're pretty fit" Perrie said laughing nervously. This sparked something in Jade's memory, "Hey what did your ex mean when he said I'm out of your league? I don't understand", "Oh I thought you knew?" Perrie asked but judging by the look on Jade's face she didn't. "I'm.. well I'm bisexual, honestly my ex is the only boyfriend I have and I don't plan on going back there again so I guess you could even just say I'm gay" Perrie replied. Jade laughed which offended Perrie, "What's so funny?"
she asked. "Nothing, it's just I'm not out of your league, I would say it's the other way around" Jade said and as she did the room fell silent for a few seconds. Perrie took her words as a signal, she's not sure why, she wasn't even sure if Jade liked girls but in the moment it made sense to her. She brushed her lips off Jade's, nervously at first but when she felt Jade kiss back she began to relax. It didn't last long but it was enough to cover Perrie's face in a bright smile. Jade on the other hand was more confused, Jade too was gay but she had never thought of Perrie in that way, Perrie was the reason her school days were hell and now she was kissing her? Perrie could sense that Jade was tense. "Are you ok?" Perrie asked. "Confused" Jade replied honestly. "Sorry, um I , it was a mistake, I shouldn't have kissed you like that" Perrie said regretting what she had done. "No" Jade said, trying to make sense of it all in her head. "I liked it" Jade continued, because she did like it, it was a surprise to her, but she liked it a lot.

Jade lay in bed with Perrie, her thinking, Perrie sleeping with her arm over Jade. When Jade gave it some thought she realised that she had always thought Perrie was beautiful, but she had just never thought of her in that way, probably due to the fact that Jade was usually the punch line to her jokes.  After a while sleep took over Jade too and she was out cold.

They spent the weekend together until Sunday night when Jade's parents were coming home. Jade rang Jesy that night, telling her everything. Jesy was just as shocked as Jade was about the kiss, but less easy to trust Perrie. "What if when you go back to school tomorrow she still picks on you and nothing has changed" Jesy asked. Jade didn't have an answer. Why wouldn't Perrie pick on her the next day? She'd been doing it for long enough. Maybe Jade was stupid to think that one weekend could change Perrie. Instantly the feeling of excitement of seeing Perrie the next day turned to dread. The facts are there, Perrie is popular and Jade is always going to be the geek. A couple of kisses aren't going to change that... are they?
Jade walked into school on Monday morning, her head down, eyes glued to the floor. She made her way to her locker like she did every morning. "Hi Geek" one of Perrie's friend said as she and the rest of them approached Jade. Another slammed her books on the floor once again. Jade looked at Perrie and Perrie could see the hurt in her eyes. Another boy pushed Jade against the lockers, hard, "Watch where you're going geek!" That's when it clicked with Perrie. Her and Jade weren't all that different, Jade had been abused to, just as much as Perrie had but maybe not in exactly the same way. Maybe they were more alike than either of them realise. "Back off idiots!" Perrie yelled, louder than she had expected to which seemed to scare the boys too as they walked away.
Jade turned to Perrie, her saddened face changing to a smile.