You Were Never Really There

Summary: Perrie woke up and one of the first person she saw was Jade. For the first few minutes, she was confused why Jade was in a nurse's uniform and why she wouldn't hug her. Then the doctor came in and started explaining what happened to her. She was in a hospital. She was in an accident and just woke up from a coma. They were going to call her family to come in. In the meantime, if she needs anything the nurses are there to help her. He introduced Jade who smiled broadly at her.

-

Looking out the window, Perrie watched wistfully as her family left. Usually it was just her mom but weekends, the entire family comes in and spends a few hours with her. While it was good, it leaves her sad and homesick.

"Hi Perrie, family already left?"

A familiar cheerful voice woke her from reverie. Perrie turned her head and smiled at the nurse. "Yeah. Jonnie and Caitlin have tons of homework which they haven't even started yet."

"Guess, it's just you and me tonight then." The nurse said as she walked over and helped Perrie from her wheelchair onto bed. After making sure that Perrie was safely back in bed, she went about tidying the room.

"You don't have to do that."

"I know," The nurse said as she stopped and looked at Perrie. "I want to. Anything for my favorite patient."

"I bet you say that to all the patients here."

"Only the --" 

"Jade, we need you in 241," the head nurse called from the door.

"Coming," Jade answered and then with a wink at Perrie, she left.

Perrie smile faltered as she watched Jade's receding figure. After her accident, she was comatose for a few months. During that time, she dreamt of a girl named Jade, of a girl that looked like Jade. It was almost like another life, a lifetime spent that was suddenly taken away from her. It was almost cruel that she can remember everything. Aren't you supposed to forget dreams when you wake up?

***

"And I'm here, to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You, you, you oughta know"

Perrie couldn't remember finishing the song but she probably did because all the preliminary judges were smiling and nodding at her. She went out of the booth still feeling faint and breathless when she heard someone speaking.

"What?" Perrie asked as she squinted at the girl on her side.

"I said I like your shirt."

"Oh, thanks. I like yours too."

The girl looked down at her shirt and grinned at Perrie. "You're just saying that but thanks anyway."

Perrie shrugged as she smiled at the girl's enthusiasm.

"Hi, I'm Jade."

"I'm Perrie."

"It's crazy here," Jade said as she pointed at the crowd around them.

"Everyone just wants their chance."

Jade nodded thoughtfully before speaking up again. "You're really good."

"Thanks."

"Made me want to pack up and leave."

"Oh, don't say that."

"Jade Thirlwall, you're next." One of ushers called out.

Jade looked at the usher and then back at Perrie. "That's me," she said as she pointed at herself. "I gotta go."