Solidifying Wishful Thinking

Summary: They come in bits and pieces for you to find out and piece together, like a puzzle. Once you fit the pieces together, they form the image of your soulmate, the person who you were destined to fall in love with.

or

the one where people get dreams about their soulmate and Jade is probably the most oblivious person in human existence

-----

were you as wild as they say?/ it's what they say/ but I don't really know what to believe/ because if I really was so crippling/ did you have the heart to complete the cliché?/ did you follow me into the evergreen?/ was it you sounding from the trees?/ or was it just the breeze manipulating leaves/ solidifying wishful thinking?

- Seahaven, "Pv"

-

She starts remembering on the day of her fifteenth birthday.

They usually come in dreams, old memories of past lives and love, though usually not vivid, most of the time just a homely smell here, a familiar sound there, maybe even a muffled feeling deep in your chest. They come in bits and pieces for you to find out and piece together, like a puzzle. Once you fit the pieces together, they form the image of your soulmate, the person who you were destined to fall in love with.

Jade dreams of warmth. She's huddled by what seems to be a fireplace, she thinks, comfortable and content in every single way imaginable, and that's when she hears it. She hears what she thinks is the most wonderful laugh she's ever heard. The sound fills the room and her ears like a melodic tune. It lasts for only a few seconds until it fades away, taking the warmth of the dream with it.

She wakes up slowly, trying to remember all she can, knowing just what it meant.

Later, she tells her diary and all of her friends and her mom and dad and Karl and even the nice UPS guy that she greets at the front door that morning.

-

She meets Perrie during the X Factor.

At first glance, nothing really stood out about her besides maybe her eyes.

Or maybe she was just super nervous.

She was beautiful, of couse, literally anyone could see that, but all Jade noticed was how Perrie was really... cool, if lack of better words. Cool as in Jade was all voice cracks and shaking hands and probably near hysterics, while Perrie seemed to be the complete opposite. Jade was kind of jealous.

Jade doesn't really remember how they started talking either, but she thinks it was because their mothers started making small talks about where they live, so Perrie's mom introduces her daughter while Jade's does the same.

They don't talk at first, only exchange shy smiles, until Jade remembers her manners and tells her, "Good luck," even though they were competitors, and Perrie says it back.

Their conversation goes on like that--polite and consisting of small talk and how nervous they both were. At one point Jade cracks a joke and she guesses it must have been funny or something because Perrie laughs, bright and genuine, not like the usual pity laughs she would get from other people.

Maybe if she wasn't so nervous and, like, half of her brain wasn't totally shut down, maybe she would have recognized the familiarity of the particular laugh.

The two girls talk some more, but neither of them really remember it because they were both so hyped up and their nerves were practically buzzing because they're gonna be singing on television in front of a million people.