Princess Shirts & Kisses

Summary: Jade doesn't want to visit her mother's friend, Debbie. She just wants to stay home and play with her dolls.

She changes her mind when she meets a new friend.

"Are you looking forward to meeting the Edwards, Jade?"

Jade glances up at her mom from her car seat, pouting. She doesn't want to meet the stupid Edwards, she wants to go home and play with her dollhouse. "No."

Norma rolls her eyes. "Don't act like that. They have a son who's only a year younger than you, you'll get on with him really well."

"Boys have cooties," Jade says, mimicking the words Jesy had told her at school on Friday. "They're stupid."

"They have two daughters, too," Norma replies, "but one of them is only a baby and I don't want you poking at her, Jade. Jonnie is a really nice boy-"

"I don't like boys, mam," Jade replies as she feels the car stop, "boys smell. Remember? That's what I told you about Sam when you made me meet him."

Norma rambles on about how when she's older, she'll like boys, but Jade tunes out, because liking boys is incomprehensible in her five year old brain. All she wants to do right now is go home and play with her dolls, because she doesn't want to meet her mom's friends' stupid kids. She doubts this boy will have dolls she can play with.

Jade follows her mom up the driveway of a house that's much bigger than theirs – for a moment, Jade hopes they're rich and maybe they have dolls anyway – and in through a door where a tired woman sends them a smile.

"Jade, this is Debbie Edwards," Norma introduces her, "and that's her son, Jonnie."

Jade looks at the boy who's sat on the lounge floor, playing with trucks, and pouts. She doesn't like playing with trucks, they're stupid.

(Then again, she considers everything other than her favourite toys and TV shows stupid.)

The adults sit on the couch and start talking once Norma pushes her over to Jonnie, and after a few moments of watching the boy play with his trucks, Jade sighs and wanders out of the room, deciding that she's going to explore the house.

She wanders around downstairs – through a kitchen and a dining room – and then ends up back in the hallway they'd come in through. She spots the flight of stairs and manoeuvres her way up it, looking in different rooms until she opens a door to a dark room.

She jumps up and flicks the light switch on, jumping when she hears a little groan, and her eyes widen when she spots a girl sitting up in a bed. A pair of bright blue eyes stare at her for a moment, before the girl's gaze drops to the floor, and her blonde hair is sticking up in different ways, pale hands playing with the hem of the princess shirt the girl is wearing. The girl is extremely pretty, Jade decides.

After making a judgement that this girl isn't stupid like the boy, Jade smiles at her. "I like your princess shirt! Belle's my favourite. Who's your favourite princess?"

The girl stares at her and lets out a little whine, hiding behind the stuffed Nala in her bed. Jade decides to sit down, and gets herself comfortable next to the girl.

"My mam made me come here. I wanted to stay home and play with my dolls," Jade explains, "do you know my mam? Her name is Norma Thirlwall. And I'm Jade Thirlwall, but everyone calls me Amelia, which is my middle name, but I don't like that name much. It makes me sound old, and old people are boring. I'm only five. How old are you?"

The girl lets out a little noise and pats her hands against her legs, shifting a little next to her. Then, she whines again and moves away from Jade, staring at her with frightened eyes.