But Darling, You're The Only Exception

Summary: Honestly, Perrie hadn't been sure what to expect when she had asked Jade if she wanted to live with her on a complete whim. It had been in the middle of one of their university chemistry class sessions. All she remembered was that Jade, who had been her lab partner at the time, had been complaining about how she hated the dorm rooms, and Jade had opened her mouth without thinking. The next thing she knew, she was helping Jade bring her clothes up to her apartment.

Or the five meaningless moments where Perrie realized that she loved Jade (and the one time she didn't have to realize it).

Perrie was not one for making a mess. She loved things straight and orderly, and she lived by the motto 'everything has its proper place.' All the books were lined up in alphabetical order on her bookshelf. All her clothes were neatly folded up and gingerly placed in drawers or hung in the closet. All the spices and herbs were arranged by their level of spiciness (she had Ellie help for this one). All in all, everything was exactly where it was supposed to be, and that wouldn't change. (Until it did.)

Honestly, Perrie hadn't been sure what to expect when she had asked Jade if she wanted to live with her on a complete whim. It had been in the middle of one of their university chemistry class sessions. All she remembered was that Jade, who had been her lab partner at the time, had been complaining about how she hated the dorm rooms, and Perrie had opened her mouth without thinking. The next thing she knew, she was helping Jade bring her clothes up to her apartment.

The thing was that Perrie liked cleanliness, but based on Jade's performance in their chemistry classes, Jade was not the cleanly-type.

Yet as much as she hated to admit it, Perrie would be lying if she had said that Jade was a slob. Quite the contrary, in fact. When Jade first moved in with Perrie, the slightly older girl had surprisingly paid close attention to Perrie's explanation of how she wanted to keep the place tidy, and for the most part, had actually went out of her way to keep it that way. Yes, Jade was far more relaxed than Perrie and was a tad more untidy in her own room, but in the general living space and in the kitchen, Jade made sure to clean up for herself perfectly.

Perrie had gotten so used to the cleanliness of her apartment, that when she came home late one rainy Friday night from band practice, she had literally no idea what to think of the big pillow fort that awaited her in her living room.

Had it been anyone else, Perrie would've probably yelled out of anger and confusion. Like, seriously? The fu—  a pillow fort? What are we, four?

But this was Jade. Sweet, clumsy, Jade who always tried her best to hold up her end of the bargain and maintain their clean apartment. Perrie couldn't just yell something like that at Jade.

So instead, Perrie had frowned and cocked her head in confusion.

"Jade?" She had called attentively.

A second later, a small head poked out from within the pillow fort, grinning.

"Yes, Perrie?"

"You made a pillow fort?" Perrie carefully stepped closer to the structure.

"Yup!" Jade giggled, "There was thunder and lightning earlier. I thought I could escape it if I hid under a pillow fort!"

Perrie blinked.

"I-I guess that's reasonable..."

Man, Perrie thought to herself, I'm really getting soft...

"Mmhm," Jade hummed happily, slightly pushing the fort's blanket entrance out of the way. "It's really nice and cozy since I took my bed comforter and brought it in here. I'm planning on staying the night and cleaning it up in the morning. Wanna join me?"