Beauty In A Failure

Summary: It's moments like these that make Jade wonder what exactly she is to Perrie.

----

There have always been two types of students who take the art classes offered at Palmetto High School; kids who truly love art and kids who just want an easy A.

Jade Thirlwall was in the first category. Perrie Edwards was not.

Perrie was a senior and she was one of those girls that everyone knew. She was on student council, she played for the soccer team, and she was friends with the popular kids. Perrie was kind of friends with everybody, actually, but that didn't mean that she avoided all of the high school drama. She had her fair share of enemies too.

So when Jade, a junior, walked into her seventh period art class that day and saw the only open stool was the one directly behind Perrie, she didn't know how to feel. She just assumed Perrie would ignore her, after all, they had never met before and Jade wasn't popular. Jade was a theater kid. As she sat down, she could hear the girl sitting next to Perrie complaining about how none of their other friends were in the class.

Jade rolled her eyes when she sat down, with her back facing Perrie's. It was going to be a long semester.

...

It only takes Perrie's friend two weeks before she drops the class, leaving Perrie without anyone to pair up with. Jade thought it was pretty shocking that Perrie decided to stay in the class after that, considering she seemed to be the type that needed to know at least someone else in each of her classes. Jade hadn't realized just how much she had been eavesdropping on the two girls who sat behind her until then, considering the fact that she probably shouldn't know Perrie's soccer schedule, or that she's going to be on homecoming court year, or that her little sister just broke her leg.

No, Jade shouldn't know any of those things, but she does. She tells herself that she didn't even mean to eavesdrop, but it was impossible not to hear them chatting away as they blatantly disregarded anything their teacher said. She tells herself that it has nothing to do with the weird urge she's had to get to know the girl that sits behind her. She tells herself it has nothing to do with the fact that Perrie is incredibly attractive. No. That's another issue in itself. Jade won't go there. She doesn't want to go there. At least not now.

She's snapped out of her thoughts when she hears the teacher begin to assign the next project, which they will need to partner up for. It's not even a second later that she feels a tap on her shoulder.

"Wanna work together?"

When she looks up, she sees emerald eyes and she swears her heart skips a beat, "Uh, sure."

"Cool. I'm Perrie."

"Jade," she says with a little wave.

...

It's funny, Jade thinks, how you can spend less than an hour with someone and already feel like you've known them forever. She can't remember the last time she's clicked with somebody so quickly. Perrie has her same sense of humor it seems. She laughs at all of Jade's jokes, which is a first.

They like the same music. They like the same movies. They like the same books.

Jade can't believe that a popular girl like Perrie even still reads books, but she doesn't complain.

They work together in class for the next week and get an A on their project. They start sitting next to each other every day and Jade swears that the entire class looks confused once their newfound friendship becomes apparent, while both burst out laughing at something silly that they read in their textbook.