Where Our Story Starts

Summary: Jade has a secret. She's always seen a translucent number floating above everyone's head. Most have a zero. Every once in a while, she sees someone with a one.

The TA for her writing class has 47.

Oh, and Jade also rarely gets seriously hurt. Any injury she's suffered has never lasted longer than thirty seconds. She heals pretty quickly, which she figures is necessary because she's the clumsiest person on earth.

(a/n i love this one so much it might be my favourite idk i just love it sm it's so good)

Jade has always known that she's different.

She's different in ways that are more than just most people's version of different. Sure, she's clumsy. She probably has an unhealthy addiction to bananas. She's awkward without trying. She's a girl that likes girls (girls are pretty and soft and intelligent, sue her). She doesn't like partying as much as her peers, which can get really frustrating when all everyone wants to do during the weekends is to get trashed.

The point is, Jade is different in the most conventional of ways, regardless of how ironic that may sound. But, she's also different in very strange ways. Like, she's always had this ability to see translucent numbers floating above everyone's heads. She thought everyone could see them at first because she's been able to see the numbers since she can remember. The brunette discovered that no one else can see them after all when all her playmates when she was younger abandoned her and called her weird names when she kept insisting on talking about the numbers.

Jade has learned her lesson then that she's not like everyone else. Another thing she's discovered about herself? She heals pretty quickly. Like, unnaturally fast. She could be cast as the next Wolverine and they won't even have to worry about CGI. She's always thought that movies and TV shows portrayed injuries a bit too dramatically because her injuries never last long. She's watched them go away in seconds, always fascinated with how her jagged, bloody skin closes up immediately, the torn edges of the cut closing along the seams effortlessly until no trace of it is left. Not even a scar.

She also found out the hard way that this is not the case for everyone. She watched in horror as her mother cut her finger while chopping up vegetables and remembers how it didn't stop bleeding right away. She was even more horrified when she noticed her mother wasn't freaking out, as if that is how it was supposed to be. She learns as she grows up that she didn't quite fit in what many consider as what is supposed to be.

Jade figures these abilities are what make her live her life the way that she does. She's careful and reckless at the same time. She has no regard for safety, always tripping on things and fearlessly getting involved in dangerous situations such as playing tackle football with the guys because she knows she could never get seriously hurt.

At the same time, she had to make sure to act accordingly when she does get hurt in front of people. She doesn't need anyone questioning why she can literally play with fire, burn herself, and be back to normal in the next second. She's watched enough sci-fi movies and Black Mirror episodes to know that someone like her - someone who has her abilities - is a main target for the government and their "scientific investigations."

Anyway, the whole healing fast thing is actually very useful. She's convinced she was born with two left feet with the way she seems to be incapable of staying upright for long periods of time, although, her best friend says her gigantic ass is the cause to her problem in keeping balance. So she's never minded that ability one bit. In fact, she's grateful for it. She's not sure she would be alive otherwise.

But the whole numbers thing on people's heads? She's spent all her life trying to decipher what it means and it had all been in vain. Most people have zero. Every once in a while, she'll see a one.