𝗷𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗼𝘂𝘀𝘆

•   •   •   

PEIN

you desperately tried to remind yourself that you and pein had nothing more than an agreement, repeating it in your head like a mantra while he spoke to konan. as far as you knew, their relationship was purely professional, and it wasn't any of your business to assume that they had ever been anything more, or that he had harbored any feelings for her. the two of you weren't in love, weren't married, weren't obligated to avert attention away from yourselves. 

it had been a grueling two, maybe three minutes? lord you didn't know what it was that was driving you so crazy about konan and pein, but it had finally come to an end when she nodded, making her way towards the entrance of the base. 

it was hard to act like you had been cleaning the same spot in the living room for the extended amount of time, and pein seemed to notice, turning his gaze to you immediately after konan's exit. 

shame and embarrassment rocked you to your core, making your face burn as you turned around, making your way towards the kitchen. pein had followed you in, like part of you assumed he would. thankfully, he let you put your cleaning supplies away before saying anything. 

a knot formed in your stomach when you met his eyes, seeing him raise a brow as if he was silently expecting an explanation. "you seemed thorough in your task this morning." 

every bit of your composure cracked, and your face burned even more than it had before, if it was possible. you couldn't even bring yourself to voice the way you felt without feeling like some sort of child. and this would likely be included in the "trivial" matters you'd both agreed to avoid. 

"nothing, it was nothing. there was a stain on the table, that's all." you tried to sound confident in your response, but your voice wavered in a shaky manner that made you want to scream. 

pein had returned to his usual expression, but you swore you caught a glimmer of something in those purple ringed eyes, something too quick for you to declare as anything at all. he took a few steps forward, until he was right in front of you, staring down at you. 

"don't trouble yourself," he placed his palm just under your chin, holding your face in his hands as he tilted your head up to look him in the eyes. 

your heart was already racing in your chest, your eyes fluttering, trying to hold his gaze. after a moment, after somehow satisfying him by meeting his eyes, he leaned down and captured you into a kiss, slow and deliberate. 

you didn't want him to pull away, but he always did what he wanted. "i'll be gone on a mission for the next few days. i'll see you when i return." 

KONAN ☆

konan was an honest woman, tender and gentle with you in every way. she was careful to treat you well, to greet you and surprise you with origami creations and trinkets she thought you might like from her travels during missions. in just a short time, you had allocated quite the collection. 

she wouldn't be back for another few hours at least, and you found yourself getting more anxious to see her again as the time passed by. you wouldn't take yourself for someone so clingy to their partner, but it just seemed to be the truth.