PROLOGUE

1976 was a terrible year for Mike Wheeler and Molly Hart. It was the year Molly was taken away, never to be seen again - or so everyone believed.

It happened so suddenly, one night Molly and Mike were laughing as they played with their toys in Mike's room, the next Molly was taken by men in cloaks to a foreign place where she knew no one.

"No!" Molly shouted to her mother as she sat at the dinner table, her arms crossed over her chest and a frown set on her young features.

"Molly, listen to mommy. Eat your carrots," Her Father, Edward, told her calmly. He had always been calm, too calm in Jean's opinion - but it was clear being calm worked best with Molly, as she was clearly a daddy's girl.

Molly shook her head. "No! They're ew!" Molly told them, her mother sighed, frustrated as Edward huffed.

"Do you want to be put to bed?" Her mother asked her, becoming angry, Molly shook her head again, "then eat your carrots!"

"No!" Molly screamed, shaking her head once again.

"That's it," Jean then finally shouted, picking Molly out of her seat as Molly screamed and kicked, "you wanna act like a baby? I'll treat you like one!"

"No!" The little 5 year old screamed, trashing around in her mothers grip, "no! no! no!"

Jean's veil in her arm was really tight, making Molly cry out in pain as tears started to fall, her little arm becoming more bruised by the second.

"Molly, stop it!" Jean screamed at her daughter as she carried her upstairs, Edward following behind and noticing the cries weren't just a tantrum, the girl sounded in pain.

"Love, I think you're hurting her,"
Edward spoke quietly to Jean as Molly cried and cried. Jean ignored him as she threw Molly on the bed and held her by the wrists so she wouldn't get up, "Jean-"

"Shut up, Edward!" She screamed at her husband. Molly cried harder as her mothers hands on her wrists got tighter to the point of no circulation in her hands.

"Mommy stop!" Molly cried as she thrashed and thrashed. Her mother usually turned to violence to get her daughter to listen. Her anger being a big part of her character. She was an I.E.D who refused to take her tablets after all.

"Jean, get off her!" Edward shouted at his wife, grabbing her hands and pushing her off of his child. Jean looked at Edward as if he was mad. He was taking her child's side over his own wife's. The woman he married.

"It's okay, Molly, love. You're okay," Edward said, bringing the little girl close to his chest as she cried. Jean looked at the two, angry her daughter wasn't like that with her. When Molly looked up to her, it was clear that in that little girls eyes she was looking at a monster - and that caused Jean to snap.

"Ungrateful little shit," Jean shouted, "I cook for you! I clean for you! I do everything here and what do I get? Nothing!"

"Jean, love, calm down-" Edward said standing up and walking towards his wife. Jean shook her head, her anger getting higher and higher, "Jean!"

"Shut the fuck up!" Jean screamed at him before pushing him back. Edward lost his balance and fell, banging his head on the side of the cabinet and falling to the floor, unconscious. Jean stood silently, shocked and scared by her own actions, but her anger set in again as she saw Molly try to make a move towards her dad.

"Look at what you did!" Jean screamed at Molly, who looked scared out of her mind as she cowered by her pillow, "this is all your fault!"

Jean's voice was void of any emotion other than anger, she sounded insane, she looked insane. And it scared Molly more than anything - Mike's mom wasn't like that ever.

The little girl was terrified of the monster in front of her.

She let out a scream, like a banshee. It was so loud, the house - no, the whole street - completely lost power, but not before the little chandelier above Jean could shatter and fall, knocking her out too. Molly sat in silence, shocked and confused.

She ran over to her dad who was still unconscious on the ground, "Daddy! Wake up! Please, Daddy!" Molly cried to him. He didn't move, and Molly cried harder.

She sat on the floor, her arms around her 'sleeping' father as she cried and cried. She didn't know what to do, and in that moment she wanted to be with her best friend, Mike and their family - they'd know what to do.

She ran downstairs to the phone and put in the wheeler house number that was stuck up next to the phone and put it to her ear, her breathing rough as she waited for a reply.

"Hello? Wheeler residence?" Molly heard Mike's mother speak into the phone.

"K-Karen?" Molly cried out.

"Molly? Darling, is that you?" Karen asked quietly, shouting for ted in the back, "what's wrong? Is everything okay?"

"No!" She cried loudly, "mommy and daddy-" she stopped, not able to talk as her sobs filled the house.

"What happened?" She asked as Mike and Nancy came downstairs, hearing commotion.

"They're hurt and won't wake up-" she cries.

"Just wait there sweetie, I'm on my way, okay?" Karen says and Molly says a faint yes before putting the phone on the hook.

Molly unlocked the door before running back up to her room in a desperate attempt to wake her parents up again - but it wasn't working.

Seconds later, the door downstairs slammed open, and Molly froze, hearing voices speak downstairs before footsteps were heard coming upstairs. It wasn't the wheelers.

She quickly hid under her bed, hearing footsteps enter the room.

"Jesus," she heard a man mutter before hearing beeps coming from some sort of machine.

"High electrical activity in here, sir," a woman said to someone else, "its coming from under the bed."

Mollys eyes closed as suddenly she saw a man's foot by her head. The man bent down, looking under the bed. She looked scared and confused - just what he needed.

"Hey there, little girl," the man spoke, Molly opened her eyes to see a man with white hair and a large smile on his face, "I'm Martin Brenner. What's your name?"

"M-Molly," she spoke quietly, cautious of the man in front of her. She didn't know him, but his smile was nice and inviting - maybe he could help her dad.

"What happened here?" The man asked her quietly, gesturing to her dead parents on the floor.

"They're sleeping," Molly whispered, her hands shaking from fear and adrenaline that was still pumping through her veins.

"Can you come out?" Brenner asked her, "I just want to talk to you." He put out his hand, but Molly looked hesitant, "I won't hurt you."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

He broke that promise.