SMARTEST IDIOT I KNOW

Chapter 6: smartest idiot I know

"I still d-don't get it."

Steve and Dustin let out loud sighs at the girl they had sat in front of them in the back room of Scoops.

"How do you not get it? What is there to not get?" Dustin presses the girl as Steve rubbed his temples, "what don't you understand?"

Tee sighs as she rubs her eyes, "w-why do y-you need to figure out the code?" Tee asks, "w-why do you have the c-code? And I-if its so serious, why haven't y-you gone to the police?"

"One, because Russians are bad. They want America to be communist-"

"Communist?"

"Bad." Steve and Dustin just say instantly in response.

"We have the code because it came on the frequency of my supercomm when trying to contact Suzie." Dustin continues, "and because telling the cops draws more attention, and we could become American heroes. Don't you want that, Tee?"

"T-technically, I'm already an American hero," Tee says to the two, making them roll their eyes, "w-what do you need me for?"

"So you'll do it?" Dustin suddenly jumps, Steve joining as they listen into what Tee will say.

"What d-do you need me for?" Tee repeats after rolling her eyes.

"When you... were in the lab..." Fustin starts slowly, knowing the subject is soft and Tee doesn't like talking about it, "you said how Brenner would get you to listen in to Russian conversations with your powers."

"That's something I thought I would never hear," Steve mumbles to himself.

"So, surely you speak a little Russian and can help us crack the code?" Dustin asks her. He stared at her body as she stared at the desk. Her mind working at 100 miles an hour. Steve and Dustin shared a look as Tee didn't reply. They heard a little sniff from the girl, making their heads snap back over to her.

"Are you crying?" Steve asked her, moving forward and closer to the girl. Tee shook her head as she sniffed again. She felt sick thinking of the lab. It was too recent for her, too degrading, too traumatising.

"You're okay!" Steve promised the girl when he realised the girl was indeed lying. He sat down in the seat next to her as she stayed still, catatonic, "hey, you're okay now. You're not going back there."