SUPERPOWERS

Chapter 4: Superpowers

Tee was standing in the bathroom half an hour after what had happened in the wardrobe. She'd been in there the whole time just staring at her reflection.

She felt numb, papa had hurt her so much and now she was free. She should be happy and excited for the life she has awaiting her - but she's not.

She washed her face with water for the umpteenth time as a knock was heard on the door, she froze, scared of who it could be before she heard Mike's voice.

"Tee? Are you okay? Can I come in?" He asks her. Tee walks over to the door and opens it, letting the boy into the bathroom as she goes back over to the sink and wipes her face on the towel next to it.

"Are you okay?" Mike asks her as he watches her - he was worried. He'd never seen so much terror in one face before, clearly she'd been through something very traumatic.

She nods her head lightly as she stares at her reflection, "Just M-M-Memories," she shrugs, looking down at her feet for a moment.

"You have a stutter," Mike pointed out to her, "I've never met anyone with a stutter before."

"I-I did-didn't used t-t-t-to," She says to him, Mike looks at her in surprise. She definitely had better English than El.

"Tee, whatever happened to you I won't let happen again, okay? I'm not gonna lose you, I'm gonna keep you safe and away from the bad men," he tells her, stepping towards her.

"P-Promise?" She asks, mike nods.

"I promise," Mike says, "cross my heart and hope to die." Tee gives him a weird look, "it's a saying."

"Oh," She whispers, looking at her feet. Mike stares at her for a moment; the girl was beautiful, really beautiful, yet also familiar. Where had he seen her before?

"Come on, El's waiting for us in my room," he says putting out his hand for her to take. She takes it hesitantly and lets him lead her out of the bathroom, trying to forget about the memories that haunted her.

-

"Are you out of your mind?" Lucas asks as he and Dustin walk into Mike's room. Tee and El were sitting on the bed, El once again finding herself staring at Tee. The boys noticed it and thought it was weird; it made El look more insane.

"Just listen to me," Mike tries, casting the boys attention from the two girls and back to him.

"You are out of your mind!" Lucas says again, his voice raising as he looks at his friend.