[~ Birthday 9/6 ~]

"Your father's coming home today."

The sounds of utensils clinking with each other fill the dining room.

"Yeah."

"Did you do all your assignments today?"

Swallowing my food, I turn to look at mom, "Yeah."

She turns back to her plate, finishing the last bits of food then standing up to leave the room. "Make sure to clean your room after doing the dishes."

I nod.

~

"Heya, kiddo!" He greets me with his cheerful smile.

Everything felt so nice when he's around.
Him just smiling at me makes me feel good.

My hand makes it way to my shoulder level, I start to wave at him.

"Hey, dad!"

He lifts me up, making me sit on top of his shoulders.

"Did you fight any cool warriors? Like—like warrior ninjas! They're always sneaky, dad! But I knew you'd make it through them!" I said, grabbing tight onto his camouflaged hat.

"Oh, definitely! They were pretty sneaky! But they're nothing compared to dad! I'll tell you all about it when we get home!" He says as he carries me to the van where mom was waiting.

~

"...Then one tried to go and jump on my back! But nope! I have eyes at the back of my head! I can easily tell! And then I said to the guy, 'If you liked breathing so much, you shouldn't have messed with The Richard Larsson!' Then boom! Head shot!"

Dad exaggerates his stories as he always does.

I chuckle, "Haha...That's so cool dad...When I grow up, I wanna join the army too!"I say.

Dad chuckles back and ruffles up my hair.
The sounds of footsteps can be heard and we both turn to see mom.

Dad smiles at me, "Go start building those robots of yours. I'll check with you soon, kid." He pats my head one last time before giving me a small nod.

I nod back, heading upstairs to my bedroom.

Upon coming into my bedroom, I shut the door immediately and walk up to my desk and bring out the materials for building a race-bot.

...There it goes again.

"GET A DIFFERENT JOB, RICHARD! This whole military thing isn't doing good for this family! You leaving me with your son is just making this household a mess! Get a job that's closer to our town—or better yet—just quit! I'll handle a job myself and you stay here, raising that pathetic brat!"

"HE IS YOUR SON TOO, PATRICIA! THE MILITARY IS PAYING US GOOD. YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR MORE MONEY TO SPEND! And he isn't a brat, he's a good kid! You're just not trying to be the mother figure he wants you to be! For once, can you at least try?!"

"RICHARD, DON'T FORGET WHO'S FAMILY PAID FOR US TO BE WHERE WE ARE. YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL I EVEN SAW POTENTIAL IN YOU AND MADE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY LIVE IN A MORE STABLED AREA."