{Chapter 47|Acceptance}

"(Y/N)! OH MY GOD YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE IT, I WAS DOING SO WELL AT THE FIRST HALF OF THE EXAM AND STUFF BUT THEN THE FINAL PART CAME ON WHERE WE HAD TO PUT AN ESSAY TO BASICALLY SUMMARIZE THE NEWS ARTICLE WE READ LAST WEEK THEN THAT'S WHERE I GOT ALL PANICKED AND I SWEAR ALL I PUT ON THAT ESSAY WAS LIKE TWO SENTENCES AND I THINK I GOT A ZERO ON THAT FOR SURE, I'M SO HECKING DEAD AHHHH!!!"

Aiden face-palmed her whole face unto the table, earning looks from other people in the cafe.

"The news article about the Hiroshima Bombing? The story was very popular and we had that lesson for like...3 weeks straight. How could you forget that?" You say, taking another sip of your coffee.

"Yeah, okay! I'm dumb! I remembered the super crucial details after we passed the papers!! Ughhh...my parents will kill me for sure if I have a score below 50!" Aiden depressingly took a bite of her donut and a sip of her espresso.

After the exam ended, Aiden immediately found you and dragged you to the cafe to help her study once more.

Ignoring the flaws that bothered you about her, you nod to what she says and send her a faint reassuring smile.

"Help me to study and review for the second day of exam or else the next time you'll see me is at a funeral! And not just any funeral, MY FUNERAL! And not just at my funeral, IN. MY. COFFIN!" She aggressively points at herself, some books and notebooks ended up falling for the table.

"Okay, okay! Calm yourself! We'll end up getting kicked out if you keep yelling like that!" You speak a lot more softer, taking note of the annoyed glances that the other people were giving you.

Aiden sat herself back down and took a sip of her espresso. "Alright, sorry. Let's just get started."

"First, a question." You stop her from grabbing a book.

"What?! Already?? Wait, let me review a few things!"

"No, not that, you idiot. When you found me, I was with my other friends, which were all boys, may I remind, then you kept on glancing at...who was that? The red-hooded one? When we were walking, were you just about to ask me who he was?" You eyed Aiden who was starting to sweat and redden.

"U-uh...no! No I wasn't! I was just gonna ask you...uh...w-what cafe you...you um...you wanted to go to b-but I remembered this one!!"

You had no idea if she was acting this time or faking it. But there's no way you can fake sweat and red cheeks.

"Uh-huh." You raise your eyebrow suspiciously.

"He...he was eyeing me weirdly so I couldn't help but feel shy under his gaze! I mean...how can you even live with a guy like him?"

The atmosphere dropped so suddenly.

"When did I...ever tell you about me living with them?"

"Huh?! Don't you remember? You brought it up yesterday when we were studying!"

No. No, something felt off.
You're sure you didn't ever reveal yourself living with them. You're sure you never revealed something personal about you in the time you two were studying together.

"Uh...sure...okay. I guess I...forgot."

"Alright, alright. Let's just get straight to studying!"

~

You stare at your ceiling...thinking.

You had no idea what you were thinking about. It's just that you were thinking.

...Unknown hasn't been texting you for a while.

There we go, a thought. Finally. Your mind has been blank after you said your goodbyes to Aiden at the cafe.

It's true, though. The last time Unknown ever interacted with you was when you had asked him questions and he just blanked out on you...which was like...months ago.

You grab your phone in hopes of trying to contact whoever this person was.
As peaceful as your life is now, you still can't change the fact that this Unknown knew Matt's classroom, knew when Edd had his seizure and somehow...'it' had connections to another party that told him that Edd had his seizure.

You can't find it in your contacts anymore.

Did you delete it somehow?

That day that Tord took your phone...does he know something you don't?

An abrupt knock stopped your train of thought. Tom pokes his head inside. "Dinner."

"Ah, okay. Coming!"

Coming down, you noticed one seat empty.

"Wait...we're missing someone..." You point out as you take your regular seat next to Matt.

"Ah...(Y/N), didn't you hear yet?" Ell asked.

"No..." The silent response and concerned expressions from the others led you thinking. "W-wait...was Grandmother Susan hospitalized?"

Ell nodded reluctantly.

"When?"

"When you went to the cafe. Grandma and I were taking a peaceful walk when I suddenly noticed that she started breathing heavier and her heart was beating way too fast for her body so...I called the ambulance." Matt doesn't take his eyes off his food.

Tom sighs, "She's 89 years old...we all know that sooner or later-"

"Tom! Don't say that!" Edd prevents Tom from finishing his sentence.

"Edd. The only thing we've been using for the past months is complete ignorance. Completely trying to avoid the reality that we're soon gonna face."

"No! I agree with Edd! If ignorance is the only way we can be able to cope with the situation then ignorance it is! I wouldn't want to be spending everyday from now on in realization then if I know she'll slip away from us!" Ell responds quickly.

"Why...why are you being so pessimistic, Tom? Grandma will live. I'm sure of it! She's going to see us graduate, she's going to see us get jobs and be happy. Please out faith in her." Matt gently adds his opinion in the mix.

You stay silent.

Maybe that was the good choice.

You hated to to admit it...but...

Everyone's fate is to die.

That's just reality. No one is immortal.
But you couldn't say that in front of the twins and Matt.
If they chose ignorance, then you can't blame them. You had chosen that route a long time ago too.

Ignoring the fact that you and Jamie just weren't meant to be.

Once Grandmother Susan was diagnosed with heart disease, you immediately knew what route you would be choosing this time. You had accepted it.
It's a tough pill to swallow but it's better than only accepting the experience once it actually happens.

You're pretty sure Tom and Tord agree with you.

With no words exchanged, Tom goes to seat and started eating.

The whole dinner was quiet then.

=~~~=
Particularly not a fan of this chapter :///