{Chapter 54|Parents}

It was 2:21 AM.

The moment those exact words left that doctor's mouth was the moment Tord lost it. I felt so pathetic, not being able to do anything else but hold him as he chokes back on his tears. God, this was so out of character for him, I've never seen him lose his posture before.

Edd and Tom tried to talk with the doctor, words were getting harder and harder to breathe out with every syllable. Edd wanted the doctor to check the results again, check her heartbeat again, recheck everything and see that maybe they were mistaken, maybe they confused her results with someone else's, maybe she isn't dead. Tom talked to him as stable and calmly as he can, asking when was the time of her death, when can a funeral be set up, how much they have to pay for her, and everything financial.

As Tord cried, I could hear his fist clenching as Tom tried to sort everything out with the doctor as Edd cried and cried, he wasn't even trying to search for words anymore. Suddenly, Tord pulled away from my hold, walking towards to Tom.

Tom must've sensed Tord's footsteps as Tord grabbed him by his collar.

"What the fuck, Tom?! We were given news about Grandma passing and the first things that comes out of your mouth is how much do we have to pay?! You're not even giving at least one thought about her when she was dying? What were her last words? If she had a will written? Jesus Christ, the least you can do is shed some tears for her!"

"Tord, please, you're not in your right mind right now, just calm—" I try to intervene before he could go any further but Tom calmly grips Tord's hands on his hoodie, pulling them off him.

The blue-hooded male let out a shaky breath. Instead of coming out with a comeback like he usually does, he gently pats Tord's shoulder in the most comforting way possible. Tord was taken aback by the sudden action.

"She's not gone." Tom puts his index finger right on top of where Tord's heart is. "She's right here."

Tom shows him a sad smile and continued to talk to the doctor.

I grab the two remaining boys' hands and lead them to the lobby near the entrance.

"Here, Tord. Please catch your breath." I said, sitting him down on the bench and giving him my bottle of water from my bag. He hesitantly took it and started to chug it down. He gives the almost empty bottle back to me as he exhales white smoke form the cold air.

I look at Edd, concerned how this news was affecting him. "Are you okay?" I timidly ask. I could feel Tord snake his arms around my waist, shoving his face into my torso. I begin to gently pat his hair.

He crosses his arms, looking away from both me and Tord. "What do you think?" He shakily replies, his hoodie not doing much to protect him from the cold weather. "I love her. I loved her so much. She couldn't just go like that. She didn't get to see us graduate. I wanted her to be there when I got married, I wanted her to meet her great grandchildren. The...The world just couldn't take her away from me...from us." Finally, Edd turns to me, his brown orbs sparkling with crystal-like tears with the reflection of the moonlight. He was biting his bottom lip so hard, I was scared it would start to bleed.

I couldn't speak. It felt like the cold weather made my mouth freeze in place, but after a few moments, I finally took up the courage to at least say something, "Matt and Ell could be at the h-house now...I think we sh-should call them a-and uh...tell them the ne-news."

"(Y/N)..." I look up once again to the brunette.

His voice was wobbly and his face was full of tears. I could feel Tord's grip tightening around me.

"She's gone. She's...not coming back..."

~

"Mom, dad," Tom says, no certain emotion was laced in his voice. Their parents cancelled everything that was going on to attend this funeral. Rightfully so. Pauline couldn't hold it all together, crashing into her eldest son for a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry, Tom. You all had to experience that burden by yourselves. Have you been taking care of everyone well?" Pauline pulls away to study her son's features. "They're able to take care of themselves, mom." The eyeless male says. "Come in."

The two adults made their way into the house, stepping inside as they take in the atmosphere of such familiarity. They take a seat on the recently cleaned red couch, just in time to see their youngest, Matt, come down from the stairs, he too, was wearing a black suit.

His indigo eyes widened as he saw who was sitting in front of him.

"Matthew," Oliver said his name with the gentleness that Matt didn't even realize how much he had missed, running into his father's arms.

"Dad, mom!" He wailed like some toddler that missed his parents during the daycare. "You came..." he mumbled into his father's suit. Oliver smiled as he caresses Matt's back as if he was still 5 years old.

"Edd! Ell! Tord! Move quicker! Mom and dad arrived!" Tom called for the remaining 3 upstairs, still getting ready. However, at the mention of their parents, Edd came rushing down.

Without a single breathe to waste, he was now in his mother's embrace.

Ell came down soon after, of course following her twin brother's action.

Tord came down last. The sight of Oliver had moved him to go over to his dad and grab his hand so tightly that Oliver thought his veins were gonna pop. "Welcome home, dad." Tord's ash-grey orbs stare deeply into Oliver's sky blue ones, as if Tord was checking if he still had a soul.

"M-My boy! I see all of you have been doing well." Oliver then shows a bright smile that was at least enough to make their children smile for the first time in a while.

"Ah yes...that reminds me. Isn't (Y/N) living with you? Where is she?" Pauline asks, still holding a quivering Edd in her arms.

"Her parents picked her up an hour before you arrived so that they could catch up." Matt says, wiping the remaining tears from his eyes.

"I see." Pauline gives a sad smile.

Both Pauline and Oliver didn't want to say it out loud, but something felt different. Something major had happened. They didn't know what, but they had definitely felt a change within them. Susan's death wasn't the one that caused it. Was it perhaps (Y/N)?

No matter,

They had to make the limited days they have here count.

~

"How has it been living there, (Y/N)?" Your father asks as he stares off into sky.
After no response was given, he turns to look at your direction, "(Y/N)?"

"Huh?! Oh. I'm sorry...I'm still uh...you know..." You scratch the back of your neck, not knowing what else to say. Your mind was completely blank.

Your father sighs out of exasperation. "Sweetheart, please. Talk to me. What's been bothering you lately? Daddy's right here to listen." He says comfortingly. You couldn't help but go in for a tight embrace.

"I don't know what to do, daddy." You break down. The smell of his familiar cologne was already enough to have you on the edge of crying. You had no idea if you should even start telling your parents about what's been happening inside that house.

Your dad would absolutely lose it if he finds out that your "delicate" and "soft" lips were already tainted with your first kiss. He would make you move out instantly if you ever even mention the fact that your childhood friends had feelings for you.

"This is real. This is all real. I've never attended a funeral in my life! I didn't expect for Grandmother Susan to be gone just like that! I can't! I don't know how to deal with it, dad! What am I suppose to do?" You accidentally had raised your voice, scaring off a few birds who were sitting on the trees.

Your father placed his hand on your head and began to straighten out some strands. "The best thing to do right now is to just let it happen. I'm gonna miss Grandmother Susan too, but if God decided that it was her time to leave, then we, as humans, can't do anything about that." He pulls you away to plant a small kiss on your forehead, "You know that, right?"

"R-right..." You sniff, taking out your handkerchief and began to wipe some tears that had fallen.

Your father has always been a gentle and caring man but was always strict with you having a boyfriend ever since that incident with Jamie. Nevertheless, he's in the past. Maybe your father has finally let him go?

...should you finally confess all the things that have been happening?