{Chapter 55|Eavesdrop}

Hm...enjoy the doodle that i put no effort into since I couldn't find a fitting image for the chapter—
=~~~=

The funeral was the most uncomfortable thing that the siblings have experienced. Some might have went to a funeral before, but never before the person being buried was a person that they dearly cherished.

Tom successfully kept his tears in control. At least that was what he liked to think and not the fact that his body was just so devastated and depressed that it just stopped trying to shed water out from his eyes. She's gone and that's fine. She was a great woman and Tom was glad to have someone like her in his life. She had only wished to see them graduate, yet the world thought it was too much to ask, so it took her away.

Tord was tired. He didn't even know what or why he was. Maybe he was tired from crying, maybe he was tired of losing people he had loved, maybe he was tired of life itself. But importantly, he's tired of having so many regrets. He didn't get to say goodbye again. He wasn't sure if he had said how much he loves her enough. He regretted that he didn't get to show her just how much he cared about her.

Edd's eyes were red from crying so much. The same went for Ell and Matt. He had faith, he had so much faith that she was going to live. He just couldn't believe what was happening. The sound of the shovels and dirt colliding together had snapped him into the reality he was facing. She was dead and she was not coming back.

Ell's memory of the funeral was blurry to her. Figuratively and literally. It sounded selfish, but she doesn't want to remember this. She doesn't want to remember her as a human being. That way, this will hurt less. That way, she doesn't have to experience so much pain.

Matt was still in denial. He believed that this is a dream. She isn't actually dead. Maybe he was attending someone else's funeral, someone that they don't know too well, maybe that wasn't her body that they were burying. He thought about it so much he almost convinced himself. But looking around his surroundings, the depressed faces of his siblings told him otherwise.

You stayed silent. You were the last person that she talked to and you remember what she said word for word as if she was still breathing with you in the same room 25 minutes ago, not laying down, eyes closed, in a casket.

"Take care of him for me. Okay, sweetie? I'm very sure he would appreciate all of the affection and love you're going to give him."

Your mind had flashed of only one particular boy when she said that.

She knew.

She knew how you felt before you even realized it.

And you cried.

You didn't know how much you needed to hear that until you actually heard it.

You wish you could thank her. Thank her for making you finally aware of your true feelings.

You silently say your final goodbyes as they had gathered their shovels up and started to bury the casket, a new pile of dirt stacking up every second until there was nothing.

Through your blurry vision, you had managed to weakly smile.

"Goodbye, Grandmother Susan." You whisper, "Until we meet again..."

~

"Okay, everyone. Please go change your clothes. We'll be the ones preparing dinner this time." Pauline exclaims, not hearing a single reply from the young adults she called her children.

She felt hurt, though nonetheless continued to smile for them.

Each of them had gone to their individual rooms.

Ell sighs deeply, slowly undressing and finding something lazy and comfortable to wear. She wondered if they'll be excused for being absent the next day. I mean, mourning takes time. The university will surely understand...

All this thinking had made her realize she was suddenly thirsty. Getting up from her bed, she went downstairs to the kitchen to simply get a glass of water, until she heard talking between her two adoptive parents.

She didn't know why, but instead of just barging in and get her water, she decided to stay within her spot and hear what her parents were talking about.

"...and te Voorde?" She hears her mother's voice slowly growing louder as she approached.

"Ah...right. Dudulewicz and te Voorde. We don't really need them now. They had gotten too close to her and disobeyed our every rule. Not to mention the fact they could have taken her while they had the opportunity."

"Oh, dear. Then, how is Aiden doing?"

"My, she's doing fantastic. It'll only be a matter of time before we'll be able to get a wonderful amount of the rarest known blood type."

"I'm...glad." Ell hears her mother let out a sigh of relief.

"Don't worry, honey. We'll be able to save thousands of lives if the main source of it all is right at our hands. The right cure. And then, no one will ever have to experience the pain that Susan had to go through."

The female brunette felt strange. She didn't have the slightest idea of what they could be talking about yet she felt such an uncomfortable feeling rising up her spine.

Who're they talking about?

Someone with the rarest blood?

Rare blood that could be a cure?

A cure to what?

What does this have to do with Grandma?

Ell's shoulders felt heavy. She should just walk away. It's best to leave these things unknown.

Maybe it's best to...just turn a blind eye for now.

She had managed to take one step forward before a cold hand had touched her bare shoulder, making her flinch.

"A-Ah! Dad! You scared me!" Ell says, her eyes darted across the room, looking at everywhere but her father's eyes.

"Oh Ell! You change clothes very quickly, dear." Oliver gave her a fatherly smile.

Ell lets out a nervous chuckle, "Well, uh, you know! I—"

"How much of it did you hear, sweetie?"