Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Lyric

“It’s my fault” I spoke softly. Our family bought rooms in the hospital so they can be close by. “What’s your fault?” Trey asked speaking in the same terms I used. “I’m the reason why our baby is like this. She is plugged up with all those wires and in a glass box.” She stated looking down. “It is not your fault, babe. You’ve got to realize that” Trey said rubbing my hand. “If I had, haven’t been so stubborn maybe our baby would be all right” “You got to stop thinking like that. She is going to be fine, don’t worry” he said. I laid there in silence, Trey turned the tv. on, flipping through channels, he couldn’t settle on one. All of the sudden the door knocked then opened “Mr. Neverson and Ms. Williams somebody here to see you” the nurse said. She moved to the side and Nelly walked in. Trey stood up, the nurse closed the door behind her. “What are you doing here?” Trey asked Nelly with disgust in his voice. “I came to see how Lyric and the baby are doing” he said. He looked at me seeing the tears forming in my eyes “Lyric” he said walking over to me. Trey stopped him “Don’t you touch her. Why are you here? You’ve no reason to be here.” “Yes I do.” Nelly started “That baby maybe mines. And I have my rights as a father to be here.” “NO you don’t. You aren’t her father, you weren’t there for Lyric.” “I didn’t know about it until now. And I how could I be there for her, you took her away from me” Nelly yelled. “You were hurting Lyric. You didn’t care about her” Trey said. Nelly got right in Trey’s face “Don’t you dare say I didn’t care about Lyric. I love Lyric.” He turned to me and said “I love you Lyric and you know that. And you also know that there is a slight chance that, that baby maybe mines.” I didn’t look in Trey’s eyes because if I did he would have seen the “it’s true look” on my face. “Tell me this isn’t true Lyric” Trey asked looking in my face. “I-I d-don’t know Trey” I stuttered. Trey was pissed “You made me think that I was this child father. When you didn’t even know yourself?” “I’m so sorry Trey” I said shaking and wiping the tears that were falling from my eyes. His eyes and face became softer and came over to me and pulled me into his arms, he kissed me on my forehead, knowing that I was already blaming myself over the baby status. He glanced up to Nelly and stated “I think you should leave now” “Okay but I will be back. I want a DNA test” he said before walking out the room.