3 | West Bridge High

Zaya POV

"You told."

"N-no I didn't I swear!" I continued to back away.

"Lying to me, Ford? You should know I have eyes all over." He creeps toward me carrying a knife.

"Only my d-dad but that's it!" I looked behind me seeing nothing but pure darkness. "Please I had to." I defended myself.

"I told you what would happen."

I forgot how much ground I had left and I lost my footing, falling deep down Into the mysterious darkness. Until I reached the ocean that waited below.

I had such a hard time keeping up I was starting to drown. It happened so quick my lungs filling up with water. Couldn't breathe, couldn't swim, couldn't function.

This is it.

I'm going to die.

"Zaya wake up!" I heard a familiar voice call out to me. "Zaya!"

Wait.

My eyes suddenly shot wide open as I cough repeatedly. It was a nightmare... again.

"You should have seen your face." Ezra stands before me holding his phone in one hand and a empty cup in the other.

"EZ, YOU THREW WATER ON ME WHILE I WAS SLEEPING!"

"How else was I supposed to wake you?" He makes a face as if there was no other way. "Look at your face. This is my new photo for you."

I had no other words. All I could do was glare at him.

"Cmon you can't hate me forever. You love me either way, you know why?" He smiles brightly. I roll my eyes and slump into my now wet bed.

"Because I'm your best friend that's why!"

That is true, he is. We grew up together- well we grew up with others as well but me and him always clicked a different way. Ezra always no matter what the situation was- had my back.

He knows when something bothers me.
I'm the one that keeps him in check.
His mom-who's my dads sister, moved in when my mom was pregnant with my baby brother, Jake. So it was so great for him and I.

"What are you even doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in school or something?" I run my hand through my damp hair.

"What do you think? I came to escort you to your new school! I couldn't let my best friend wander."

Shit I totally forgot!

"No I hate being the new girl! Especially when it's in the middle of the first semester." I frown. "Too much attention."

"Cʻmon it'll be fun. No parents, no rules, no worries." He removes the sheets that covered my legs. "And more importantly youʻll be with me so thatʻs a bonus."

Ezra and the rest of my childhood friends go to this boarding school called, West Bridge located all the way in the mountains of Minnesota. Its where rich kids go to for kids whoʻs parents have ordinary jobs. 

Which is the school Iʻm transferring to because my parents think itʻll be safe for me. None of my friends know not even Ezra knows what happened to me.