23 | Ride or Die

Marìa POV

It was a crushing pain.

Pounding, throbbing, like a toothache in your brain but worse. I let my head fall back as I shift in my chair.

Where am I?

The feeling finally returning to my fingers and toes. Something about the atmosphere didn't seem right.

I cautiously opened my eyes lifting my head. Awareness came in a flash once I saw that I was in a cold dark empty room. The ropes digging into my wrists against the wooden chair.

"Damn it." I tried to shake the chair but it was no use. "This is great..."

Suddenly an intense heat threatened to burn my lungs. The thick acrid smell of the smoke filled the room.

"I was wrong..." I croak as I cough my lungs out. "...this is fucking great."

I'm so fucked.

Ezra POV

Why am I swaying?

An earsplitting horn vibrates through my ears. My eyes shoot wide open as my heart jumps out of my chest.

Where am I?

I struggled to stand up right due to the lack of balance. When I went forward I walked right into clear glass.

"What the fuck?" The glass was endless surrounding me. It was impossible to find a way out. "Am I in a glass tube?"

The earsplitting horn vibrates through my ears again. I look beyond the glass and my heart immediately races.

Is that... water?

Once again the ground started to tilt, tossing me to the side. I leaned against the tube for support.

Holy shit.

I'm on a boat.

"This is a fucking joke."

Suddenly my vision was blurred looking through tube. Everywhere I looked it was blurred. It took me a moment before I realized water was seeping through the brims of the tube above me. It filled slowly but not slow enough considering the water is up to my ankles.

"You've got to be kidding me."

I'm fucked.

Luke POV

Light a fire they can't put out.

What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.

The black smoke filling sky, the smell dominates every breathe, the flames burning in colors I didn't know were possible.

"Burning house in the middle of a forest... how classy." Jaden spoke staring at the burning house.

"What's the plan?" Zaya said with urgency.

I shrug. "Get in and get out."

"Luke if you go in there-"

"And if I don't she dies." Before she could protest I'm already half way in. "Make sure she doesn't follow."

Within the house the fire spread with ease, turning the once pretty first floor into a maze of flame. Black smoke billowed up the stairs and there was no alarm to sound.

I could already feel the smoke consuming my lungs.

"MARÌA... CAN YOU HEAR ME?"