13 | Coping 101

The experience of trauma is overwhelming emotional pain that threatens the soul and avoids all rationalization

Everyone managed to escape the bus of death as one student called it. The police say the bus slid on black ice, one of the deadliest ice in the world. Before we could return to the school they insist on medical advice.

While I waited for Marìa and Luke to finish with the doctors. I waited on the side of the road like every other student did.

I wrapped my arms around myself trying to gain my warmth back.

"Here." Rainer wraps a red cottoned towel around my shivering body. I flinch at his touch.

I could feel the air in my lungs quicken.

"I'm fine." I tried to shrug it off but he continued to hold it. "You need it more than I do."

Flashback

The glass shattering due to the water pressure. I watched the water flood through every access way possible. The bus was being consumed quickly.

I kept my head above the little surface we had left, swimming to the back exit.

"Fuck!" A deep voice that always frightens me.

Rainer.

I quickly swam towards him as he struggled with his belt.

"Forget it just-" He took a deep breathe before water covered his head. My heart began to race as I watched him struggle with his belt.

I looked into his eyes, they were empty. He glared at me trying to tell me to leave.

I took out the pocket knife Trey gave me. I held the blade to the belt rubbing it as fast as the water would let me.

Back and forth.

Back and forth

SNAP.

End of FlashBack

I don't know what fazed me to do such a thing. After what he did to me- the pain he causes , I saved him anyway.

"Why did you do it?"

I don't even know the answer to that.

I'm stupid maybe... I don't know.

So I shrug.

"You could have fucking died." He snaps.

"But I didn't." I scoff, removing the towel from my body.

Suddenly I felt his body press against my back. His arms wrapped around my shivering body. Allowing the towel to consume around us.

"You got off lucky, Zaya." He whispers into my ear. My heart began to race again. "Donʻt get used to it, life is never that easy. Next time when I tell you to go, just do it."