29 | Strike Three

There is two types of pains.

Before I could even function my feet was marching my way over to the group I call family.

"You're the Royals." I find myself saying.

One that hurts you.

They all look at me like they'd seen a ghost. Nobody knew what to say so I kept speaking.

"This is you isn't it?" I held my phone up with pictures when they were younger. "Please tell me it's a coincidence that your names are the same as them. That it's a coincidence that my last name is her last name!"

"Do we know you?" The twins dad questions. I roll my eyes as I rip my mask from my face. They all took a step back with looks of concern and fear.

"Zaya..." My dad breathes.

"Are you the Royals, yes or no!"

And the one that changes you.

"No, what makes you think that?" My own mother says with soft eyes.

What did I do to deserve the pain of this slow burn?

"You called each other Zoe, Jayce, Nick, and Jade... did you not?" I look at Jadens dad and he looks to the ground. I looked to Ezra's mom and she looks away too.

"You must of heard otherwise." Luke's dad defends.

Lies.

"But dad-"

"Zaya honey, you shouldn't be here. Why are you here?" My dad asks.

"Why are you?" I shot back as tears fell down my cheek. I quickly wipe them away.

"Zaya..." The twins mom places her hand on my back but I remove it.

My dad speaks again. "This is one of our properties and the host is renting it out for this event."

Lies again.

Speak up, Zaya.

"We have to be here to make sure everything is in perfect condition." Ezra's dad chimes in.

"We're a legal business, nothing else." My mom adds.

More lies.

Speak up, damn it!

"It's just a misunderstanding that's all." Ezra's mom smiles.

I wanted to scream in there faces, LIARS.

But my cowardly self couldn't.

"What are you doing here, Zay?" My mom questions with a sharp tone.

"Business."

"What kind of business?" My dad's voice was stern as he takes a step forward.

"Minding my own business." I try to mumble to myself as I turned around. But I wasn't soft enough.

"Zaya Ford." My mom scolds

I turn around to face them all.