40 | Walls Crumbling Down

First day back.

Back to school, back to reality.

I'd be lying if I said I was ready for it. Times like this I would turn to Marìa for her ridiculous remarks. But she's currently occupied at the moment. Coma and everything.

"I hate you." I mutter at her bedside. "I hate that you're suffering instead of me. I hate that I only found out a week ago."

But good news is that they're supposed to be waking her today. Bad news is I won't be here.

"I'm so sorry Marìa, I wish I could stay. But I have to go to hell-school, same thing," I shrug, earning a laugh from someone who isn't Marìa or me.

"Never thought I hear you say that." Jaden leans against the door frame, wearing a smug look.

I roll my eyes before placing a kiss to Maria's cheek.

"You ready, shrimp?"

"I thought we were over that?" I question him as I walk out the door.

"Unless you have a growth spurt, you'll always be my Shrimp." He ruffles my hair before tucking his hands in the front of his jeans.

"Fine I get to nickname you." I smile, grabbing the straps of my backpack.

"Handsome... sexy... oh I know-"

"Puffs." I state, cutting him off.

He stops in his tracks.

"Hell no."

"Why, does that bother you?"

"Yes." He starts walking again.

"Good."

———

Focus.

Today will be good. Today you will not ditch class, you will not freak out, and you will focus.

Nothing can ruin this-

"Why puffs though?" Jaden questions, totally interrupting my self motivating speech.

"Seriously, was that what you were really thinking during that two hour car ride?" I muse.

"Yes."

I roll my eyes. "You ruined my self motivation speech in my head."

"Why puffs?" He asks again.

"First of all, your favorite is Reese's Puffs, so puffs for short. Secondly, you're chocolate. Lastly, it irritates you like me with shrimp." I explain happily exiting the car. Taking in this monstrosity view of a school.

"You okay?" I felt his arm drape over my shoulder. Pulling me closer to his side.

"I'm fin- I will be." I correct myself, forcing a smile. Jaden smiles genuinely, placing a kiss on my head as we make our way to the entrance.

I haven't been to school in like a month. As big as this school is, gossip travels fast. Even though I somewhat found a voice, I still hate the spotlight, the questions, and the staring.

I just pray that I'm a nobody and no one knew my absence.