25 | You're Better Off

I was a different person a year ago.

Change, we don't like it, we fear it. Its a shame we cant stop it from coming.

"Yes."

"Hello, you said that for the last two dresses." Maria huffs throwing her hands on her hips.

"Four actually, can you just make a decision please. I'm tired of looking." I slouch down into the white leather couch. With high ceilings, expensive dresses, and mirrors for walls just makes me feel out of place.

"Looking... you didn't look at all. Your ass hasn't left that couch since we got here."

I shrug. "I don't need to look for a dress. Mr.Crazy Pants has a dress picked out for me."

"What if its ugly as hell? You still gonna wear it?"

"I have no choice... he has a temper tantrum of a psycho child." I state and she rolls his eyes.

"Seriously, you're gonna do everything he tells you to? He cant be that bad, Zay." She says as she looks at her own reflection.

"If it means keeping you all safe, then yes."

"Over a dress?" She chuckles.

Remembering the story about Rainerʻs sister and the drastic measures he had to go through to get my attention... thereʻs no way I would let that happen again.

"You don't know what heʻs capable of, M. Do me a favor as my best friend, stay as far away as possible."

She turns around crossing her arms. "Answer me this... why you, why us? Why all of the sudden he takes interest in us or more specifically, you."

I finally stood up and bent over to check if anyone was in the dressing room stalls. When it was safe to speak I let out a sigh.

"He thinks there's something going on between me, Trey, and Rainer. He was curious to see who Id go with to the masquerade."

"I understand the whole Trey thing because lets be honest, hes head over heels for you..." She smiles brightly and I roll my eyes.

"No he isn't, shut up."

"Stop lying to yourself." She turns around gesturing to unzip. "Anyways, I get the whole Trey thing but Rainer? You two don't exactly get along. You're not each other's type, two very different people."

"What do you mean?" In one swift move, her dress was unzipped.

"He's a gang member, he's ruthless, and dangerous. Zaya you're-"

"Not good enough." I interrupt, immediately she faces me with a hurt in her eyes.

"Safe." She breathes out.

"Oh."

"Don't get involved with him, Zay. Trust me, he's not the one to care about anything. You're better off without him." I watch her step down from the platform to return to her stall.

I had this weird feeling in my stomach. I resist the urge to-

"We kissed."

Damn it.

She stopped mid step, I could see the shocked expression in the reflection.

"Who's we?" Marìa turns around slowly but this time without any emotion. Which low key scared me.

"Rainer and I." I cross my arms nervously.