26 | Lake Night

Im confused.

Why do I feel so... alive?

Is that the word to use? Alive?

I'm not sure but I haven't felt this okay feeling in a long time.

I don't know if I should be happy about it or scared.

"Zaya..."

"What... sorry I spaced." I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Tonight?" Andre looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Did you hear a word I just said?"

"I heard you." I scoff, crossing my arms.

"What did I say?" He crosses his arms as well.

I smile brightly. "You said... did you hear a word I just said."

His face drops into a straight face.

"You're unbelievable..." he shakes his head getting ready to stand. I threw my body across his lap, smiling.

"No wait... don't go." I laugh as he scoffs.

"If you love me you'd listen."

I rolled my eyes as I sat up.

It's been awhile since we sat down like this. When we were younger we used to sit outside of school on the floor against the wall. We would talk about random things while we waited for Marìa to finish volleyball.

Boy does time fly.

"You have my full undivided attention."

"You weren't listening to me again?" His eyes widen.

I smile nervously. "I was thinking about when we were younger. We had to wait around for Marìa while she was at practice."

"At the corner, I remember that. We used to tell each other everything." He smiles at the memory.

"Yeah used to." I whisper staring down at the concrete we sat on.

"That's where we had our first kiss." He muses with smirk on his face.

I quickly slap his thigh. "We are to never speak about that. We made a pact!"

"Oh come on Zay, Nobody's around. Besides, don't deny your best kiss ever." He smirks again.

I roll my eyes. "We were in the seventh grade. We barely knew what a good kiss was."

"It's okay, to be in denial." He playfully pats my thigh, which I kindly hit it away.

"What did you want to tell me."

He shakes his head. "Are you ready to listen or are you just gonna tune out. Head over to la la land while I repeat myself five more times."

"All ears, promise."

"The football team is having a party tonight. One of the boys has a cabin in the woods. Their will be booze, music, and lake to swim in. You should come."

"You know parties aren't my thing." I sigh, looking down at my lap.

"Come one you went out with Maria and Luke. Why can't you go to my functions?"

"Okay we hung out not partied, there's a difference." I corrected and he rolls his eyes.

"I promise that you'll have a good time. Come on wheres the fun, carefree Zaya that I used to know?"

"Dead." I scoff.

"I'm serious."

"If I agree will you shut it?"