42 | Blood, Sweat, & Stupid

D A Y  O N E

Rainers POV

Blood

Sweat

But no tears.

If I'm gonna survive these next few days, I need to focus.

My fist slams into the first guy brave enough to approach. Dodging his attempts before I was punched in the back. I quickly stood back  to take on the two men. I punched with my right while I kicked with my right. When the third guy came into the mix I grasped his head bringing my knee cap to his face.

The second guy wraps his arm around my neck. While the first guy gifted me with a couple of rib shots. I held onto the guys arm around my neck as I kicked the second guy into the third. I hunched over throwing the first guy over my body, slamming against the mat.

"You're strong..." My trainer starts as I hunch over to catch my breath. "But not strong enough... again."

I look over to the side of the room and see Zaya. Who continues to read one of her books. Zaya finally looks up letting her gaze meet mine and she smiles.

That's all I needed.

"Okay, Paul. Let's go again."

D A Y  T W O

As I round the corner, the cold air shocking my throat and lungs as I inhale deeper. With each step a sharp pain shoots ankle to knee, ankle to knee. When a great deep sound echoes throughout the sky, I knew.

"Fuck this." The sudden stop jerks my body a bit. The aching pain courses throughout my body.

"I never told you to stop, keep running!" Paul screams from the other end of the field.

"Only ten more laps buddy." My head turns to the annoying human that speaks, Jaden.

"Yeah keep running." Luke teases from the back of the golf cart.

It's bad enough they're here but to come on a mini golf cart as I run, real low guys.

"Quick, take out your gun and shoot me." I exclaim as I adjust my pace to match the golf cart.

"As fun as that sounds..." Jaden smirks.

"Don't even think about it." Her head pops into view as for the rest of her body hides behind Jaden. "Rainer, you need to run."

"How about you come here and show me, baby girl." I smirk, sending her a wink. Her eyes roll but her cheeks redden.

I made the right decision.

I decided against telling her about the break. It's better off this way, I can focus on becoming leader. Zaya can focus on herself and the family. She doesn't need me, she's better off without me.

I made the right decision.

"Rainer."

"Zaya." I respond back with a mocking smile.

"Run."

"Oh yeah, make me." I have a get a challenging look and her eyes darken. She whispers something in Jaden's ear that makes him smirk. Suddenly, Jaden stomps on the break.