15 | Family Night

The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives.

"Seriously mom why?" I watch my mom casually stirring the pot. While my Aunty Jada, Ezra's mom cuts the onions.

"Because they are like family and tomorrow you all go back to school. We haven't had a family dinner in a while." My mom replies.

"What's wrong with Jaden? We get along fine with his dad." Aunt Jada chimes in.

"Uncle Jay is cool. Jaden is just an asshole." Ezra scoffs sitting on a stool at the island counter.

"Ezra Sanders language!" His mom scolds pointing the knife towards him.

He rolls his eyes. "Like you don't swear."

Before any of us could say anything the doorbell rings.

Ezra and my mom thought it'd be nice to have a "family" dinner. After the earthquake they canceled school for the week to renovate. It gave me a good time to study and refocus myself. I haven't seen him for a week since that day. He totally went MIA. I didn't mind, he was distracting anyways.

I opened my front door and my brow cocked up. Marìa rested on hand on her hip while the other rose high. She tilted her head back.

"Maria has arrived!" She announces.

I looked passed her to see Andrè and her parents not amused.

"I wanted to leave her home." Andrè pushes passed his dramatic twin sister. He leans in to kiss my cheek. "Hi Zay." He greets before walking in.

"If your parents weren't here I'd slam the door in your face." I respond to Marìa and her parents laugh.

She glares. "Wow I feel the love."

I shake my head smiling as I let them in.

"Mom, Aunt Jazlyn and Uncle Austin is here!" I call out.

"Great, Jaz you can help us." My mom responds and Aunt Jazlyn's eyes widen.

"Oh I'm fine... it looks like you and Jad-a got it." She stutters before joining her husband on the couch.

"Honey can you check on your dad, make sure he's okay." I heard my mom from the kitchen. Just as I was about to sit with my friends. Great timing. "And tell him Austin is here."

"I'll go with." Ezra effortlessly stood up and hooked his arm with mine. Uncle Noah, his dad jogged down the stairs smiling at us.

"Is Jazlyn and Austin here?" He questions Without even stopping.

"Living room." I answer as we jog up the steps. When we reached my baby brothers room I see my dad hovering over the changing table.

"Damn it." I hear him mutter.

"Having troubles?" I smile.

"Your mom is better at this then I am." He looks back at me with guilt. That's because he was always gone. He didn't have time to learn how to change a diaper and put baby clothes. I had to, I did that.

"It's fine." I walk over to my baby brother who smiled once I came into view.

"Your here now." I hear Ezra say. "By the way Uncle Austin is here."