11 | Passing Through

One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.

We wondered around town for bit debating what we should do to pass time. We settled on Navy pier, it has activities for the boys, food for Maria, and a place to sit for me.

The boys remained in front as we followed not too far behind. I would notice Rainer glance back every now and then. Every time he did Maria would make a face at him.

I admire her confidence, to be worry free and not have doubts about yourself. The type of person that doesn't accept any shit from anybody.

"Holy shit that's it!" Maria tilted her head back to take it all in.

Kids rushing up the stairs to see who wins. Parents shouting at the kids to watch out. Couples holding hands, tourists snapping pics- so much to take in at once.

It reminds me of the time when Luke, Ezra, Jaden and the twins all went to Disneyland back in elementary. So young. So innocent.

"If one of us were to run off somewhere make sure one of us is with you." Rainer's demanding voice brings me back into reality.

"Now whos the buzzkill?" Marìa's smart mouth earns a glare from Rainer.

"No seriously, this place ain't safe. Chicago has gang's wondering all over the place. Not only that but Rainer and I aren't exactly welcome in Chicago." Luke scratching the back of his neck means he's nervous.

He's telling the truth.

"Okay." I shrug.

"Well I have to pee... Zaya?" Marìa starts to walk backwards to see the three of us.

"No I'm good."

"I'll go with." Rainer's emotionless face speaks. I watch Maria speed walk through the crowd while Rainer takes long strides.

"So how've you been, Zaya? How's my favorite non irritating, girl." Luke drapes his arm over my shoulder pulling me close.

"Not much... just school things. You know me... same old nerd." I continue to kick the pebble. That manages to stay in my path.

"You weren't always like that. Remember in the seventh grade, when we decided it was okay to go off campus to eat because the cafeteria food sucked." His smile bigger as I shook my head smiling.

"Yes, we got into so much trouble!"

"Oh remember when we put dye in Ezra's shampoo and conditioner?"

"His hair was pink for a month." I laugh out loud people were starting to stare the more we laughed. But I didn't give a fuck. I missed this.

"What happened to her? Your so different now since the last time I saw you. Now your all nerdy and a rule follower." This sudden pain in my chest started to take a tole on me. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat.