47 | The Ugly Choice

It was the only way.

"This is about Trey and Rainer! You are going to have to catch up later! Because right now I need to make a choice or they are both FUCKING DEAD!"

I saw the relief on my cousins face as I walked out. As soon as I got to her she pulls me into a hug. I wrap my arms around her whispering into her ear. We share a few more words before she hugs me a bit tighter before releasing.

"Whatever you decide... I'll be right next to you. I promise."

It was the right way.

"I'm gonna wait in the car." She fakes a smile before getting in the driver's side. 

I hate waiting. It feels like I've been waiting for hours even though it's been minutes.

"I can't tell you what to do. That's for you to decide."

Finally he walked out. Even after getting a beaten he still managed to hold his head high.

"Are you okay? Did they hurt you? Do you need to a hospital? Or do you want to-"

"Woah, we're not playing twenty questions." He rests his hand on my shoulders. "This was all Rainer... I'm fine so don't go blaming yourself."

"Mom what did you decide?"

Silence.

"Mom?"

"I chose the one who deserved to suffer."

He knows me too well.

"How did you manage to-"

"All will be explained later, just get in the car." I reassure and he flashes his million dollar smile. Before getting into the backseat.

It was the only way.

"Zaya?"

It was the only way.

"Zaya, how did you-"

I jumped up against his body and he easily caught me. I let my lips move against his, feeling relief, secure, and heartbroken.

"So who will be living today?" The devil or better known as Colten, smirks. "Who will get to live?"

"Both."

"Excuse me?" He chuckles.

"Both." I repeated.

"I gave you four hours to give me an answer that was not a choice?" He seethes, crushing his fingers into fists. His men beside me tighten their grip around my forearms.

"Colten, please hear me out..."

"If you let them both go, if you leave their gangs alone, and let them live... in exchange for my life."

I'm the one to suffer.

In one snap of his fingers his men released my arms.