28 | Strike Two

A coward.

His words kept replaying in my head. No matter how this math class is, I can't seem to tune in.

Last night was a disaster.

Andrè.

Rainer and Trey.

Rainer.

Me.

It's all I could think about. I'm surprised I woke up this morning. No, I'm surprised I even fell asleep.

"That's it for today. Make sure you study this review for your exam on next week Monday. Enjoy your weekend, be safe." Before my teacher could finish half the students was out the door. I shook my head back into reality as I quickly pack my books away.

"Mrs. Ford, May I have a word with you?" My teacher Mrs. Jen tilts her glasses down, looking over them.

"Problem?" I force a smile as I glance at the clock.

"You seemed absent today, Mrs Ford. Not once did I see you write anything in your book. That's not very like you." Her face was puzzled.

"Oh I'm fine Mrs. Jen, really." I reassure her inching closer to the door.

"Are you sure? Because I've noticed you've been hanging around Rainer, Trey and their friends." They way she said their names it sounded so bitter and poisonous.

"Is that a problem?"

"I know who they are, Zaya. Everyone in this school knows who they are and what they do. I suggest you be careful and stop while you're ahead." She cautioned.

It's kinda too late now.

"I'll keep that in mind." I force a smile before leaving her room completely. I look both ways before actually deciding to run right. I need to get to them before he does. Thanks to Mrs.Jen I'm fucking late.

"Can we talk about this?"

"Sure."

"Really?" He makes an abrupt stop.

"Yeah, with them." I shot back as I continue to walk quickly.

"Damn it Zaya!" Suddenly I felt arms wrap around my waist, pulling me back. "Stop running away from me."

"Andrè your causing a scene." I whisper back at him as he held me against his body in the middle of the hall. "Please let me go."

"No, not until you talk to me."

"Andrè, they're all staring at me." I whisper again, feeling my heart beat out of my chest.

"Just listen to me." He whispers into my ear.

"Okay, let me go first." I try to negotiate.

"You'll try to run away."

I roll my eyes, letting my hands fall to the side.

"I joined the gang at the end of eighth grade. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to worry anyone. When Jaden and Luke came out, Marìa wasn't so thrilled." He explains in a low tone.

"You saw how everyone reacted to Ezra. I already know Ezra would give me shit like I did him for not telling me. Marìa would tell mom and dad who will kick my ass. They'd never understand it." He turns me around in his arms, not letting me go. 

"Please Zaya, don't tell them."  He looks into my eyes as he pleads.

"Is this why you go MIA all the time?"