✰ chapter one ✰

"It's 10:45, Lyra," Remus called from down the hall.

"I'm coming, just let me grab Eddie," I yelled back to him and grabbed the owl cage which was sitting on the wooden dresser. I hurried down through our home and plucked a bar of muggle chocolate from the kitchen bench. As I rushed to where I knew Remus was, I didn't realise he was headed towards me, and I ran straight into him.

"Careful," he joked as he shook his head, letting out a chuckle and smoothing my hair down. After double-checking that I had everything I needed, he slipped his fingers between mine and apparated us to king's cross station.

Apparition was probably my least favourite thing in the entire world, no matter who it was with, I always felt ill and stumbled as I landed. Remus was quick to steady me, holding my arm tightly until I was balanced. The chatter from the students and their families was loud, topped by the engine of the train and the screeching owls.

Dumbledore dropped into our cottage over the summer and joined us for tea. He asked Remus to become the new defence against the dark arts teacher after professor Lockhart was sent to St. Mungos. He planned to take the train, so I could get to the station with him. I pressed a kiss to Re's cheek and left him to board the train alone, turning in search of the red-headed Weasley family.

"Is that who I think it is Fred?" I could hear George's voice clearly, but I couldn't see him anywhere. I walked closer to the train with my eyes searching around.

"I think it is George, let's go say hello."

I searched around the platform, my head spinning in all directions, my eyes peering over everybody's heads. A large, warm hand grab my waist and lifted me from the ground, spinning me around. I looked up to see the one and only Fred Weasley smiling down at me.

"Mornin' love, how's it going?"

"Alright, how are you two?" I looked down at the floor, hoping Fred wouldn't notice the burning in my cheeks. His hands were planted firmly on my waist. He was very close to my face with our chests pressing against each other. Before they could answer, a short, plump redhead pushed the twins away from me and wrapped her arms around me.

"Oh, let me love you too," she smiled. "Lyra dear, how are you?" her voice slightly shook.

"I'm great, Mrs Weasley. Everything alright?"

"Yes, you three better get on the train before it leaves without you," she said, pushing us onto the train. The whistle blew and students rushed to get on, Mrs Weasley's voice fading into the distance as we walked further into the train. We found Lee sitting alone in a compartment, surrounded by treats of all kinds, muggle and wizarding.

"Lee, care to share?" George questioned, walking into the compartment, and lifting both his and my trunk above us.

"No, I'm good, I'd rather eat them myself. Actually, on second thought, I'll share with Lyra." He had a smug face as he teased the taller boy.

"Ha! Lee loves me more," I snorted, slipping past the twins and towards him before a pair of hands grabbed my waist and pulled me back into their chest.

"She's mine, you can't take her from me," Fred moaned, burying his face in my neck. I knew my cheeks were burning red, Lee noticed with a smirk. I flipped him off and placed my hand on the top of Fred's head, pushing him off, and walking in.

Fred sat down beside Lee, immediately taking some of his sweets and stuffing them into his mouth. George dropped next to me and threw his legs on top of my own, leaning against the wall of the compartment. We spent the time catching up and filling each other in on our holidays, and I smiled and listened intently to all of them.