Chapter 21: Sneaking Out

(Haven's POV)
I stared up at the ceiling with complete boredom. I was getting tired of being cooped up in this house, and I could tell that E.J. was too. He's been grouchy the past two days. I sighed as I sat up on the couch. The t.v. read 11:00 p.m. E.J. was asleep in his room. I smiled. Now was the time to put my plan into effect. 

I was planning on sneaking out to get E.J. something for Christmas. Not anything major, just a little something. I mean, I'm pretty sure the guy hasn't even had a Christmas. So, why not teach him about it? No, this doesn't mean anything. I'm just being the good slave.

I stepped onto the cold carpet, reaching out for my boots. They were black with red buttons. I held my breath as I inched my way to the door. E.J. could wake up any moment. It seemed like he had ears like a hawk. I slipped on my thick coat and opened the door. No snow came piling in this time, but the wind was howling. I stepped one foot outside, glancing back to make sure E.J. hadn't mysteriously woken up. No sign of him. I needed to make it back before he woke. I closed the door behind me.

I took off into a sprint, my boots crunching the snow. The wind bit at my skin with its coldness. There's no turning back! I ran into the woods, with the snow covered trees. It looked really pretty in the moonlight, not creepy at all! I shivered as the wind swept against my neck. I continued forth, convinced that the town nearby was only minutes away. SCRITCH. 

 I stopped dead in my tracks. What was that?! I turned around to face nothing, but a white scenery. I just shrugged and continued to walk forth. SCRITCH! SCRITCH! SCRITCH! I picked up the pace as I heard the sound again. SCRITCH! SCRITCH! SCRITCH! SCRITCH! SCRITCH! I swiveled around, scared out of my mind.

"E.J.?" I squeaked. 

No answer. I shivered as I heard something breathe behind me. I glanced over my shoulder to see a being across from me. It looked like a hairless dog, but also a human. 

"What...the..heck.." I breathed.

I was paralyzed with fear. It had claws so long, that the moon's light illuminated the thick curve of them . It's eyes were focused on mine, and I couldn't get over it's sharp teeth. I gulped. I watched the 'thing' run towards me. That was all I needed to get going. I took off in a huge sprint, huffing and puffing as I tried to distance myself form 'it.'

 The thing was picking up on me fast, though. I ran even harder, but it was no use. I tripped over my own feet and landed face first into the snow. I flipped over to see the thing jump into the air towards me. Its claws  were coming right at me. I closed my eyes tight, waiting to be torn in pieces. Instead, I heard a voice I never thought I'd be glad to hear.

"Ugh!"

 I opened both of my eyes to see E.J. ram himself into that thing in midair. E.J. landed on both feet.

"You know I don't want you here, Rake! Get out!" He yelled with intensity.

I watched the Rake get up and stare at E.J. with hunger in its eyes. It came charging with full force at E.J.  E.J. crouched low, a growl erupting from his throat. As the Rake raised a long claw into the air, E.J. grabbed its neck and threw it on the ground. I watched him tear its arm off and twist its neck. He had broken its neck. Everything happened so fast...

 I let out a sigh of relief. I wasn't going to die tonight. I saw E.J.'s figure rise up, his body shaking. Why was he shaking? He turned towards me, his pace fast. Uh oh, he was furious with me. I might die by him instead!  I scrambled to get and started running but E.J. tackled me.

"What. The. Fuck!" He screamed in my face. I

 tired to move, but he had me pinned under him. I felt his fist connect with my ribs.

"AAAHHH!" I screamed out in pain.

"I told you not to try to run away! I'm going to flipping murder you!" I felt his hands grip itself around my neck. I

 gasped for air, trying to rip his hands off of my throat. My eyes flooded with tears. They made their way down my cheeks, but froze since it was cold.

"E.J. I-I wasn't *cough* t-trying to run a-away. P-resent -f-for y-you," I tried to make out.

 I felt his grip loosen.

"What?" He asked, dropping me into the snow. 

I coughed and gagged, trying to refill my lungs with oxygen. 

 "I said... I WAS TRYING TO GET YOU A PRESENT BY SNEAKING OUT!!!" I yelled at him. 

E.J. just stood there.

"Well, that wasn't smart. There's all kinds of dangers here." 

I scowled at him.

"You just almost killed without listening to me, and now you're calling me stupid?! Ugh, I can't take this anymore! Good job, you finally have tortured me enough! Why don't you just kill me since that's what you're wanting to do!" I said, breaking down in the snow. 

 I heard the crunching of E.J.'s feet coming towards me.

"I'm sorry. I just thought you were running away..I don't want to kill you. That was my fault for jumping to conclusions..."

I sobbed into my hands, ignoring his apology. He tried to pick me up, but I just slapped his hands away. I'm too tired of this! Either way, E.J. carried my bridal style to his home. I officially hate him! I sobbed, and somehow started sobbing into his chest. I almost died twice tonight. E.J. laid me on the couch. My bandaged hand hurt. I cradled it up against my chest and sobbed into the couch. 

Eventually, I stopped crying and just refused to look at Eyeless Jack. I felt a hand stroke my hair. I slapped the hand away. E.J. sighed and just walked away. I heard a door slam. Good! E.J. can die for all I care. Stupid idiot! I eventually fell asleep, tears still streaming down my cheeks. Why did I have to be the slave to this cannibal?