Chapter 38: 4 Days Away

(E.J.'s POV)

"So that's how I was able to be programmed. It's in my blood," Haven explained.

I listened intently as she explained everything to me. It intrigued my interest on how far along medical history has advanced. Haven was staring at the floor, swaying her feet.

"So, I'm thinking we should leave tomorrow," I suggested. 

Haven nodded her head, causing her long, brown hair to bounce slightly.

"We might as well. How long do you think it will be until we reach Shadowed Valley?" Haven asked curiously.

I gently pet Tornado from behind the ears, before reaching over into my bag and pulling out my atlas. I casually flipped the pages until I was towards the end of the atlas. I traced my finger along the route and did quick calculations in my head.

"Around four days." I answered.

"So, we leave tomorrow?"

"Yes."

 Haven slid off the bed, and Thanes jumped off and landed next to her. I studied her for a moment, wondering what she was thinking. Her eyebrows were furrowed, her pink tinted lips were set in a grim, straight line, and she had her arms folded across her chest. I desperately wanted to hug her, but I stopped myself from doing so.

"What are you thinking?"

"Nothing," Haven replied, twirling a thick strand of her brown hair, "I'll start packing, and I'll tell Patricia that I will be leaving tomorrow."

The next morning, Haven left the house with a wave. We agreed to meet two blocks away from her old doctor's house. I paced on the sidewalk with Tornado pacing beside me. People stared at me curiously, and I was guessing it was because of the mask I was wearing. I couldn't blame them for staring; I would stare too. It wasn't until five minutes later, I heard Haven walk towards the spot I was at. Her duffel bag slung over her shoulder.

"So, are we ready to fudging leave this place?" Haven asked.

 I nodded my head as I adjusted my backpack, retrieving our atlas in the process. We both passed shops, houses, and a few parks as we made our way through the tiny town. Thanes and Tornado padded briskly alongside, their eyes alert and ears perked up.

"I think that's the end of town," I said, pointing to a road that had fields of corn along the sides. 

Haven just nodded her head and continued walking. Eventually, we were out of the town and surrounded by endless, yellow cornfields. I hope we didn't have to see this the rest of the way there, or else I'm going to go insane! I adjusted my blue and black mask and wiped some sweat off of my chin.

"Do you know where we are, E.J.?"

 I glanced down at the map.

"We're on some old road called Seesaw. We still have a while to go before we can quit for the day," I answered

. Haven gave a 'hmph' and sat down on the side of the road. Her purple hoodie clung to her small, sweaty frame. 

"What are you doing?"

"What does it look like? I'm resting for a minute. It has to be lunch time by now!" Haven snapped sassily.

If I still had eyes, I would be rolling them at Haven's attitude. It was true. We had been walking since eight this morning. A breeze lifted up a little of my mask. I quickly slapped my blue and black mask down.

"We can go hunt for some food. I'd imagine the cannibal would be hungry," Haven teased. 

I straightened up at the word "hunt." My stomach growled in response.

"I guess we could take a lunch break..."