Chapter 34: An incubus and red headed idiot...I meant, Haven! 0^0

(E.J's POV, Back to Present Time)

I stared at the night sky through the holes of my mask.  Another week and I still haven't found Haven.

"Where are you?" I asked out loud to no one.

Tornado and Thanes slept next to me, curled up together. I opened my hand to look at the talon I had found yesterday, while roaming around. It was large and black. I pondered on whether it would lead me to Haven or not. I remember yesterday when I found it. I was running and collapsed on moist moss. I felt it prick my side, and I had dug it up from the green algae.

 "Is this Luke's?" I had asked. 

I suspected that it was, but what did it mean? I scratched my head in frustration. This is a clue, but I don't know how it is! I felt a muzzle rub against my mask. I lifted up my mask to feel Tornado's fur rub against my face. Thanes just slept. I stared at Tornado, petting him, and letting the black goo fall from my eyes. Tornado stared at me with his icy, pale blue eyes. What was up with this cat? That's when the answer dawned on me. This was like an eagle talon! Eagles usually hunt for fish near areas where there is water! 

 "THAT'S IT!" I yelled happily. 

I broke into laughter, which scared Thanes. He jumped up and set down in a crouch. I took off running towards the western direction. Incubuses like it where it is wet and moist! I felt Thanes and Tornado racing after me, their paws hitting the ground with a thud. So Luke must be near that waterfall in these woods! I used to stay there when I was making my way to Haven's old town. I knew I wasn't far from the waterfall; in fact, I should be there in a matter of minutes.

"HAVEEENNNN!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs.

 I felt a smile plaster to my face as I raced closer and closer to the waterfall. I saw the trees show the aqua blue puddle and the waterfall ahead. I dashed onto the shore.

"Okay, now where are you?" I heaved as I tried to catch my breath.

I looked around only to see it empty. I felt my heart drop as I realized she wasn't here.

"Haven?..." I whispered confused.

 That's when I just bursted out crying. 

"H-Haven!" I cried.

I thought she would be here... I felt two tails drape themselves around my shoulders. I knew it was our cats, but it didn't comfort me. I watched as my black "tears" fell onto the sandy earth. She wasn't here. I got my hopes up over a fucking talon...

"YOW!" I stood up as I heard that sound of pain.

"Haven?" I asked out loud.

 That sounded like her! I sprinted towards the direction of that yelp, hopping over logs, stray branches, and a few holes.The trees and bushes thinned out into a clearing, and that's when I found her. I knew it was her, because of the way she glared and scrunched up her face. I stopped smiling when I saw Luke dive down towards her and knock her down on her ass.

"RAAUGHGHG!!!" 

Thanes projected himself at Luke, digging his claws into his wings. Tornado did the same. I ran over to Haven, who was struggling to get up. He knocked the wind out of her.

"Haven!" I yelled. 

Haven looked up at me in shock.

"Eyeless Jack?"

 I nodded my head as I helped her up.

 "He's coming right for us," she panted. 

I looked up to see Luke fly right at us. I took out my scalped and held it out right as he passed us. I could hear it rip against his arm.

"AUGH!" Luke hissed.

He was holding his arm, and shooting death glares at me.

"How the hell did you find her?!"

"Maybe you shouldn't leave your talons lying around?" I answered in a smart ass tone. 

Luke hissed and came at us again, but Tornado and Thanes hopped onto his shoulder and bit down.

"Go!" I heard a familiar, static like voice say.

That's all I needed to pick up Haven and book it like there was no tomorrow. After running as far as I could, I fell on my back. Haven sat up.

"I could've ran you know." She said sassily. 

I looked at her through my mask.

"What?" I asked.

 Was Haven okay? She was giving me attitude. She just rolled her eyes.

"Thanks for finding me, but I could've ran." She explained.

 I just nodded my head, smiling under my mask. I finally found her! I closed my eyes as I tried to regain my breath. 

"Oh, and we should probably get out of these woods soon, like tomorrow." Haven replied bossily.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

 Haven stood up with her hand on her hip.

"Yeah. I just think we need to get out of her as soon as possible."

 I studied her. This was a different Haven...I like it! I sat up, only to fall back down as Tornado and Thanes scrambled into the clearing. Haven laughed while I sighed.

"We'll leave tomorrow," I said quietly. 

 I knew we were safe from Luke for tonight, but maybe not tomorrow. Haven nodded and yawned.

"You should sleep. I'll keep watch."

 I tried to get up, but Haven held me down.

"No. I'll keep watch. It looks like I've had more sleep than you. We're going to need you to be alert and lead us out of these woods." Haven argued.

I just stared at her. Her greenish blue eyes were so beautiful, and her hair wasn't that normal red, but a light brown now. The dye wore out. I like Haven either way.I stopped this urge to pull her down onto me and kiss her. I can't do that. I'm a monster and she's a human.

I laid back and closed my eyes, "Fine," I said sleepily. 

Haven just smiled at my surrender.

"Goodnight, E.J." She whispered.

"Goodnight, Haven."

 I let my dreams be filled of Haven and Luke's death. If only it was that easy.