Chapter 40: 2 Days Left

(Haven's POV)

The smell of raw meat awoke me from my peaceful dreams. I groggily rubbed my eyes open as I sat up. I felt a furry creature stir next to me. Thanes yawned and stretched his back, his claws extending out from his golden paws. I pet his head, and he purred in response. I grinned down at my cat.

"You hungry?" 

I looked up to see E.J. hanging upside down from a branch on the tree. His blue mask, that was streaked with black 'tears,' was lifted up to reveal his mouth. His teeth were pointy and stained a little red. I guess he already ate some animal. His scalpel gleamed from his hand. It was streaked with flesh and blood. I shivered from just looking at his weapon.

"A little," I replied, still blinking away drowsiness from my eyes. 

I ruffled up my thick hair and poked E.J.'s mask. He swiftly caught my hand.

"Don't touch my mask," he warned.

I just rolled my eyes at him and looked the other way. I hope we were close to Shadowed Valley because I am sick of sleeping out in the wild! I heard a loud thud hit the ground. E.J. had landed perfectly on his feet. I took in his appearance. His black hoodie was still baggy, but E.J. did gain some weight. His black jeans didn't sag as much anymore. His dark brown hair was messy, and I thought he needed a trim soon. Overall, E.J. looked like he was finally gaining his weight back, which was good since he was merely skin and bones when he found me.

"Haven?"

 I snapped out of my daze and looked up to stare into the depths of E.J.'s mask's eye holes. I couldn't even see his eyes through them. Well, he may not have any. I mean, he is called Eyeless Jack.

"What," I answered.

E.J. flicked my temple and pointed towards the dusty, abandoned road. There, I saw a broken down SUV at the side of the road. That's when I connected the dots in my head. That smell of raw meat wasn't an animal, it was human organs. I scrunched up my nose in disgust at E.J.'s diet. How did that SUV even get stuck here? We haven't seen any cars since we've started traveling back to Shadowed Valley!

"I heard it crash at the side of the road. The driver seemed to of had a stroke at the wheel. Good thing, because we can now get to our destination a little faster. There's still a little gas in the tank," E.J. explained as if he had read my mind.

I slowly took a step forward, squinting at the SUV. I could see Tornado staring out of the driver's window, his crystal blue eyes watching us. I smiled and ran to the SUV. Maybe there's food in there! The wind blew my hair back as I sprinted over to the abandoned vehicle. I could hear E.J.'s footsteps thunder after me. My heart pumped with excitement. We were finally one step closer to Shadowed Valley!

I flung open the door and climbed in. Tornado meowed at me once I had finally climbed in. I turned around to see that there was a mini fridge, a few seats, and... the driver's dead corpse. His side was opened with a long gash. His chest seemed to have been ripped open messily. This was definitely E.J.'s work. Speaking of the guy, E.J. had stepped into the SUV, scratching the back of his head. 

"Uh, yeah... I forgot to throw the body away..."

"You're an idiot."

I made sure to avoid the puddle of blood and the man's corpse as I stepped over to the mini fridge. I licked my dry lips as I thought of the food that could be stored in there. Boy, I was hungrier than a starved lion! I yanked open the small door to come face to face with five jars of human insides. Two contained kidneys, one had a lung, and the other two were empty. I shoved the jars of organs aside to look for anything else that was edible for me.

A plate of fried chicken, Chinese takeout, and a small box of pizza was all that was left in the mini fridge. There were Mountain Dew bottles, but I wasn't thirsty. Wow, so much unhealthy food, and I wonder why this guy had a stroke. I took out the Chinese leftovers and sat in the front seat. E.J. was already sitting in the driver's seat, turning the ignition to start the SUV. I buckled my seat belt and opened up the Chinese takeout. Noodles, eggrolls, and crab rangoons were inside. My mouth watered at the sight of it.

"Alright, off we go!" E.J. yelled.