Chapter 43: Settling In

(E.J.'s POV)

We both looked around the room, which was part of our new "home." The walls were painted a tan color, and the floor had clean, white tiles. I took a step forward after I had shaken my damp and muddy shoes off. I took a peek into the kitchen to see that it was a reasonable size for cooking. 

  TAK! I swiveled around to see Haven grinning as she walked through the house nonchalantly. Thanes and Tornado padded after her., their furs soaked and clinging to them. Haven swung by and caught a hold of my black hoodie sleeve. She yanked on my arm, and I toppled over. She caught me with her strong, thin arms and helped me up.

"Come on! I'll show you around this house," Haven yelled excitedly.

She slipped her small hand into mine, causing my heart to race just a tad. Is this how you hold someone's hand? We flew up the staircase to appear in a long hallway. It looked quite empty and lonely. We'll definitely have to decorate this vacation home. Haven sprinted to each of the three doors that lined the hallway. 

 "There are three bedrooms on this level. So, we can have our own bedrooms! Oh, and the bathroom is at the end of the hallway. It's super small."

She tugged me along the tan painted hallway, her hair swishing behind her. It was now almost down to her thighs. Her steps were soft but loud. She turned the brass knob to what I expected to be the bathroom door. Haven held open the door for me, and I peeked my head through the opening. There was a porcelain toilet, a tiled shower, a green sink, and a clean, clear mirror. The walls were painted a mint green like the sink. 

"Where's the medicine cabinet?" I asked, searching the small bathroom. 

"We don't have one in here."

I slowly nodded and walked back into the hallway where Haven was standing. I'll have to find somewhere else to store my medical supplies...Oh, shit! I left my "tool" box at that Doctor's house! I groaned as I face palmed at my own forgetfulness. Now, I needed to replace all of my medical supplies and equipment!

"You okay?" 

"Yeah."

 Haven nodded slowly before taking my hand and leading me back down the stairs.

"There's this little door in the back of the kitchen that leads down to the storage room. I'd imagine you would use it to do your damn creepy stuff," Haven muttered. 

"You make it sound like I'm a rapist. I don't rape people. That's disgusting."

"Says the man who eats kidneys," Haven teased.

We stopped in the middle of the kitchen. There was a door in the very back of the kitchen, but it was cracked and splintered. Looks like I'll have to replace this door. I stepped forward. The doorknob was dusty and rusted. It squeaked as I turned it and opened the door. A dim light streamed through one single window, and everything else was dark. I surveyed every inch of the area and guessed that it was big enough to store all of my supplies. I turned around and let out a big sigh.

"Tomorrow, we're going to shop for furniture. We also can run a few errands..."  

 Time Skip: Next Day

Point of View Change: (Haven's POV)

So, remember that long time ago when we went shopping? Yeah, well, this was a completely different experience from the last time. It actually turned out to be an awesome trip with E.J. The only problem was that E.J. had to break into three different ATMs to get money. Oh, and we had to steal an old truck to drive to the nearest town, which was ten minutes away.
Our first destination was going to Menards for wood to build a new medicine cabinet and basement door. E.J. had quickly paid for the wood, nails, and various tools. Currently, we were now at the salon. We both needed a trim, and E.J. even said I could dye my hair there.

"Are you two here for a walk-in appointment?" 

A woman dressed all in green had asked the question. We both nodded, and she led us to two chairs. 

"Sylvia and Justice will take care of you both. Since we're not busy today, we can fit you two love birds in!"

"Uh, we're not love birds," E.J. mumbled uncomfortably.

I face palmed at the lady's stupidity and leaned back in the salon's chair. A young woman with short black hair walked over to me, and I was slightly puzzled by her appearance. Her face was completely caked by a ton of makeup, and her perfume smelled like rotting cheese. It took all of my will power not to burst out laughing.

"So, what am I doing for you today?" She asked in a nasally voice.

"Emo-style haircut and dye it any shade of red."

"Okay. Say, why is your friend over there wearing a mask?" The hair stylist asked. 

I stayed silent for a quick moment, trying to think of an excuse for E.J. I felt scissors start to trim my hair.

"He's going to this,er, party thing," I lied.

The hair stylist nodded her head and continued to style my thick hair. After fifteen more minutes, my hair was finally cut. I stood up and stretched, glancing over to E.J. His dark brown hair had been cut back down to its original length, and I could tell he was greatly uncomfortable in this salon. His gaze swept over to me, and he flipped me off for making him stay longer. I gladly returned the gesture.

"Alright dear, I picked out the perfect shade for you," my hair stylist called with bitchiness in her tone.

I just rolled my eyes at her annoying, nasally voice. E.J. snickered at me as he stepped outside to wait. I gritted my teeth. I am going to kill that bastard! I clenched my fists as I sunk back into the chair again. I could feel the water from the sink splash on my forehead. My hair stylist ran her pudgy fingers through my hair and hummed a song. About an hour and a half later, we were all done.