Chapter 26: What is Wrong with You?!

(Haven's POV)
I turned to look at E.J. I could feel his harsh gaze penetrate through me. He was leaning against the wall, his body completely stiff. What was up with him? I was yanked from my thoughts as Luke poked me in the cheek.

"Hey, I can pay for that if you want." Luke offered, pointing his finger towards the pile of shirts I picked out.

I blushed as he smiled and winked at me. I giggled shyly and walked up to the cashier.

"That'll be $101.65," the cashier said in a bored voice. 

I looked up to talk to Luke.

"It's okay, I can pay for it." I said cheerfully. 

After all, I thought it was quite expensive. Luke just waved it off and opened up his wallet. That's when E.J. stepped in.

"I'll pay for it. I'm the one who's shopping with her anyway." E.J. said calmly. 

Luke just glared down at E.J.

"I insisted first."

"Actually, I told Haven that I was paying for anything she wanted before we entered the mall." E.J. said, a challenge noticeable in his voice. 

Luke just bent down towards E.J.'s level. He was only about two inches taller.

"Just let me pay. Can't you let a nice guy pay for a pretty, gorgeous girl?" Luke said, glaring at E.J.

 Woah, what the hell just happened? I could sense the testosterone levels rise as they stared each other down.

"No. It's my job." E.J. said, obviously not backing down.

"Well, too bad. I'm paying for this beautiful rose over her-"

Luke wasn't able to finish his sentence as E.J's fist connected to his cheek. I watched in shock as the boys started wrestling on the ground in the store.

"E.J. STOP!" I yelled, my slave instincts coming intact.

I wrapped my arms around his slender waist and hauled him off of Luke. E.J. huffed from under his hoodie. Luke staggered up and wiped the corner of his mouth.

"YOU BETTER FUCKING WATCH IT! NEXT TIME YOU LAY A HAND ON ME, I'LL BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!" Luke seethed with pure anger.

"WELL, IF YOU EVEN FUCKING DARE TO TRY THAT, YOU'LL END UP DEAD IN A DITCH SOMEWHERE!" E.J. roared back in a demonic voice. 

Luke just huffed and stalked out of the store. I watched as he left, his hands behind his head. I turned to see E.J. huffing and standing, tense. He must still think a threat is near him. I narrowed my eyes as him. Why did he have to act like that? I pulled out a hundred dollar bill and two ones and slammed it on the counter. Then, I grabbed E.J.'s arm and dragged him out of Hot Topic over to a dark corner.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I demanded, my bitchy side coming out. 

E.J. just looked up and stood straight.

"I told him it was my responsibility to pay for you nicely. Then he started acting like a jerk, so I acted like one back."

 I glared at his mask, staring straight at the holes in his mask. I still couldn't see his eyes through them.

"You didn't have to punch him! That makes you look like an ass!" I scolded E.J.

"Well, maybe he shouldn't have threatened me! Besides, you're mine and you're my responsibility!" E.J. countered. 

I snapped.

"What do you mean I'm yours?!" 

E.J. was taken back at my question. He just hesitated and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I-I don't know..."

"Exactly! I don't belong to you or anyone! Why don't you take of that mask instead of walking around looking weird?! It's not Halloween Jack!" I shouted. 

E.J. stepped dangerously close to me.

"I can't. I'm not human. And I could easily have broken that guy's neck like a monster." E.J. said with a chilling tone.

 I turned my cheek away from him and started walking away.

"Yeah, whatever asshole." I snapped. 

E.J. just caught my arm.

"Wait, Haven. Don't you need to buy red hair dye?" 

I froze in my tracks. How did he know? I turned around.

"How did you know that this wasn't my natural hair color?" I asked. 

E.J. chuckled and picked up a red strand of my hair.

"Because, no human has hair that deep of a red. I'm not stupid. And, I saw the boxes of red hair dye, that you've smuggled, in the trash at home. " 

I just rolled my eyes. 

"Hey...How about I teach you something tomorrow? That was going to be your main gift." E.J. said slowly. 

I brightened up. What was E.J. planning? E.J. just rubbed the back of his neck. 

"How about we go home and I'll fix you whatever you want? Then, we can go fetch me some organs?" 

I sighed as E.J. mentioned the organs part.

"Yeah. That'll be fine."

(E.J.'s short POV)

I watched as Haven sighed.

"Yeah, that'll be fine." She said tiredly.

I just lead her out of the mall. We were walking down the sidewalk slowly. I could tell she was worn out. The fighting match between me and Luke probably put stress on her. But, something about that Luke guy had set me off. He didn't seem right... I feel like I've seen him somewhere before, and that triggered alarm bells in my head, which had caused me to feel threatened. I'll have to watch him more closely.

I didn't like how close he got to Haven. And, that flirting he did. That bothered me a lot. I'm not sure though, but I want him away from Haven as much as possible. I feel like he would hurt her. I was engrossed in my thoughts as I almost ran into a pole.

"Come on, E.J. Pay attention!" Haven said teasingly.

I just flipped her off and continued walking. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone move. I looked across to see Luke. He smiled wickedly at me. His face showed evil. He walked back into the shadows of an alley. I moved closer to Haven. I finally found out why I had felt threatened by him...