Chapter 41: 1 Day To Go

(Haven's POV)

I yawned and stretched in the passenger's seat of the SUV. E.J. was still driving, and he hasn't stopped since yesterday morning. I glanced down to see how much gas we had left, and it wasn't much. I glanced behind me to see Tornado and Thanes curled up together, their heads on their paws. The corpse was gone now, but the blood had stained the SUV's floor. I turned my attention back E.J.'s face, which was covered by his eerie mask.

"E.J.?" I asked quietly. 

E.J. seemed to have snapped out of his thoughts as he turned to look at me. 

"How long until we make it to Shadowed Valley?"

"One day. Why have you been so quiet the whole entire day? Are you getting sleepy again? It is night after all." E.J. commented.

I lifted one eyebrow at him. He usually doesn't speak like that. Was exhaustion finally getting to him? I put my hand over his warm, grey hand that was on the steering wheel. He tensed slightly, but he soon relaxed.

"If you're tired, we can stop for tonight and rest. We only have one day to go."

E.J. shook his head and continued to drive. I studied him for another minute before looking out of the window. The sky was now black with only a few, twinkling stars dotting the sky. It was a magnificent outdoor scene, but it made me feel a little lonely inside. At least I still had E.J. with me. He was my only friend and ally at the moment. I sighed and tried to pull myself away from my miserable thoughts.

"Can we listen to some music?" E.J. asked. 

I brightened up at the idea of finally ending the silence we have endured the whole entire trip. I quickly unbuckled my seat belt and climbed over the seat to reach my duffel bag. 

"Hey! Watch it!"

"Sorry," I muttered after accidentally bumping into E.J.'s shoulder.

 I unzipped the duffel bag to see my iPod laying on top of everything. I snatched it, and I walked behind E.J.'s seat and put down my iPod onto his lap.

"You can choose the music," I said cheerfully. 

E.J. scrolled through my iPod with one hand as I slid down back into my seat. Soon, "Drown" by Get Scared filled the SUV.

"Am I free? Or am I just lost in a thousand waves deep in the ocean,ocean,ocean?" E.J. sang quietly.

"Should I drown myself now?" I sang along. 

E.J. lifted up part of his mask to reveal his sharp grin. We skipped a few lines before we started to sing the chorus.

"I'm not giving up!" E.J. sang.

"I'm not giving in!" I echoed.

"Drown me out! After all of this pain, you won't see me! Drown me now! Through the fire and smoke you can breathe me," We both yelled.

 Soon, we changed the song to "Sarcasm."

"Don't mind us, we're just spilling our guts! If this is love, I don't wanna be loved! You pollute the room with your filthy tongue! Watch me choke it down, so I can throw it up," E.J. sang, rocking out.

 I giggled at his actions.

"You must really love this song," I teased playfully. 

E.J. nodded enthusiastically and head banged his head to the beat.

"Definitely. It's my favorite song."

I smiled at him and turned up the volume on my iPod. Even though E.J. is around 118 or 119, he definitely acted like a teenager. I guess that's why I could relate to him sometimes. I placed my hands on my stomach and stared out the window with a grin tugging at my lips. We were going to be alright after this trip. At least, that's what I thought at the time...