Chapter 37: Dr. Hawthorns

(Haven's POV)

"This is the room you can stay in. You can stay as long as you want to, dear."

I thanked the kind old lady and cautiously stepped into the room. A small bed was in the middle on top of a rug, and a black, wooden desk was placed against the opposite wall. There was a small window that let the , evening rays soak up the whole room. I dropped the duffel bag and turned towards the elderly woman. 

"Is there a shower or bath in this place? If so, may I use it, please?" I asked sweetly.

"Of course! The bathroom is upstairs. Feel free to use it anytime," the old lady said kindly.

With that, she scurried out of the circular room. I unzipped my duffel bag to retrieve a pair of green shorts and an orange camisole, along with my undergarments. Once I had gathered that, I dug out my toothbrush. I took a deep breath and exhaled. Once I was ready, I opened the door and softly closed it behind me.

The warm water felt soothing on my worn out body. I stood underneath the nozzle enjoying the heat of the water droplets. Thoughts enveloped my mind. Did E.J. make it here? I opened my green eyes to see all of the dirt and grime swirl down the drain. It's been a while since I've had a shower. The water ran through my brown hair, which was not greasy anymore.

I reached above me to get some shampoo and a razor. I had found some spares in the medicine cabinet. After shampooing my hair and shaving, I turned off the water and dried myself with a blue towel. I slipped on my shorts and camisole before I opened the door. I could smell a delicious scent waft through the air. I eagerly sniffed the air, inhaling the smell deeply.

"Mmmm...chicken alfredo." I whispered. 

My stomach growled, and I place my hand over my tummy. I was starving. Now I knew how E.J. felt.

"I wonder where that dumbass is?"

"Behind you."

I swiveled around to see E.J. panting behind me. It had looked like he had been jumping or running. His blue mask was covered in dust and mud. I sent a caring smile towards him.

"Glad to see you made it. Have you eaten?" I inquired. 

E.J. shook his head.

 "Are you allowed to eat raw meat?"

"Yeah. It's not the best thing in the world, but I'll eat it  But, it can't have preservatives in it. True raw meat is what I can eat." He answered gruffly.

"Good. I might be able to sneak a steak from here or ask if they have freshly hunted meat."

E.J.'s posture straightened , as if he brightened up from my idea. I playfully pushed him to the side. I grabbed his gloved hand and led him to the room I was staying in. He didn't protest when I held his hand, but he did lightly squeeze it. I walked down the steep stairs and strained my ears to make sure the old lady wasn't anywhere near us. I turned the silver knob and quietly opened the door. I let go of E.J.'s hand as I moved towards the bed. E.J. looked around the room, sizing it up.

"This will do. Haven, the bathroom was upstairs, right?" E.J. asked. 

I nodded. A rush of hair surround me, and E.J. was gone. I guess he missed bathing more than I did.

"Dear, dinner's ready," the old woman's voice called.

I flew open the door and rushed down the stair, jumping two at a time. I hope E.J.'s carful enough to not get caught, I thought to myself. The table was set for three, and I wondered who the third person would be. I pulled out a met folding chair that was lying against the stove and sat down.