Chpt 18

|Revised|

"You're fucking worthless, you know that? It's a pity your father couldn't even see where you are now. No wonder he left."

"M-mom, don't. Daddy's here-"

"Oh shut up. Go bother the neighbor. He'll take care of you. Mommy's busy." The woman with dark black hair raised the bottle and turned it, letting the contents drip down her throat, eyes squeezing at the intoxicating burn.

"Mom...enough?" the boy asked, reaching for the bottle to take it away. The woman grunted and thrust her arm out at the 6-year-old boy, making him fall.

He puffed out his cheeks, wanting to cry and yell at the woman for being rude until he was picked up by a bigger man with broad shoulders and a killer smile. His face was perfect and his eyes were squinted as he studied the younger, whose face lit up at the scene. "Daddy."

"How's my favorite Kookie Monster, hm?"

"Momma..." the boy replied, pointing at the drunken woman on the couch, one arm now slung over her eyes. The father clicked his tongue to the roof of his mouth in a distasteful manner, not liking this version of the woman he had married.

"It's okay. Let's leave mommy alone for a little bit, okay?"

"She's sick?"

"Yes. She's sick." He kissed his cheek and walked over to the girl, grabbing the bottle and pulling it from her hands, causing her to become angry and sit up.

"Dammit, Jungkook, go fucking next- oh. Honey, you look like your father all grown up like this. Mommy's happy for you, baby."

"You need to go to bed, Haeun. No more drinking, okay, sweetheart?"

"Kookie, don't call mom that. You can't be daddy, okay? Just..go bother that neighbor.." Haeun yawned before her eyes closed. Jungkook's father sighed and smiled at him, walking out of the house and sitting on the grass near a tree.

Kookie, you wanna know a secret?"

"Secret!"

Jungkook's dad pointed to a tall building in the distance. "See that? Daddy owns it. You know this. What you don't know is that one day, it'll be all yours. You'll have money. That building. A nice house. Cars. You'll be set for life, Kook." He smiled and grabbed Jungkook's cheeks, squeezing them. "You'll be a happy boy with a girl."

"A girl?" the young boy sat on his butt in between his father's legs, staring up at him blankly. "Why a girl?"

Jongsuk blinked his eyes before smiling at the boy. "Do you not want it to be a girl?"

"Does it have to be?"

"Do you want it to be?"

"No." Jungkook folded his little chubby arms. "It shouldn't be. Why did you say girl? Boys are pretty."

"You like pretty boys, Kookie?" he asked with a bright smile. "That's good, baby. You like whoever you want to like, okay? Because as long as you're with someone who makes you happy, that's all that matters."

"Daddy...does momma make you happy? You stay with her even though she's sick because you like her? She makes you happy?"

Jongsuk leaned back to stare up at the fluffy white clouds with a smile. "Yes. She makes me happy. And I don't think I'll ever be able to leave her, Kooks. But the moment she hurts you, I will. So that means you need to be honest when I ask this." He closed his eyes and sat up a little, one hand resting on Jungkook's cheek. "Does she make you happy?"