Chpt 45

|Revised|

"Bear, don't run too far, be careful," the woman laughed, squinting her eyes as the small boy with fluffy hair spun around and landed on his butt, big eyes staring up at the older woman. She knelt by him and gently cupped his cheeks. "Are you okay, bear?"

The boy just blinked as the woman lifted him up to his feet, dusting his pants off. The boy spun back around and waddled to the playground without any words, his legs swinging as he tried climbing up the big play set. The woman smiled uncertainly and covered his mouth with her lips as a hand settled on her shoulder, giving her a soft squeeze.

"Don't look so glum, he'll talk soon."

"I will be glum. The boy hasn't spoken any words for almost two years. What am I suppose to do when he starts school in a few months?" She muttered, rubbing her head.

"He's probably just traumatized, there isn't any need to worry," the man smiled, sitting on the bench. "He's a kid who lost both of his parents. You can't expect him to be fine."

"Says you," she muttered under her breath, sitting next to him. "Like I said. Almost two years ago. This isn't right, I tell you. He should be saying something at least for someone who's turning six!"

"Nemia, it's fine," the younger man sighed, shaking his head. "You can't be paranoid."

"I don't get how you aren't paranoid," she scoffed. "The woman you married doesn't even love you and she's raising your kid."

The man frowned and looked at his lap. "I love her, that's what matters, yeah?"

"Not when she treats your son like a rag doll," she sighed. "I was never fond of my son-in-law, but I never had to worry about him hurting my grandson. He was a loving man. Who made my daughter happy."

"She makes me happy."

"But will she once your son is older and he feels neglected, Jongsuk?"

The young man smiled sadly, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. "The moment she actually hurts him, I'll leave her. The moment he tells me he doesn't love her, I'll leave her....."

"The older he gets, the more of an alcoholic she becomes," she hummed, watching the six year old play by himself on the playground, watching as his brows furrowed as if he was concentrating on something. "A woman who has told you she doesn't love you nor the child you both made is a woman not worthy of being a mother..." 

Her smile saddened and her voice became quiet. "My daughter was perfect for being a mother, even if we didn't get along. She cared about her child first and foremost, regardless of what others said. Even if I said something about him, she'd stand up for him in a heartbeat." Nemia looked at the man. "My daughter would've made a great grandmother, better than I. Because she would've loved that child like her own. Hmm..." she looked away. "She was a great mother who left us too soon."

"She was young," Jongsuk mumbled, looking at his hands. "I remember growing up with her whenever you came over to watch me when I was younger."

Nemia laughed. "Ah, good times. When having children and worrying wasn't a worry for you guys. My daughter was fond of you, definitely. Too young."