Extra A Tear in our World part 6

Part 6

That night Gertrude sits reading a home decor magazine, she flips through a few pages doing her daily reading. It was her night off and all she wanted to do was relax. She hears loud laughter coming from Alix's room. 

"Hey hun, will you keep it down," Gertrude shouts toward the end of her house. She leans back in her armchair and gets situated snuggling down with a couple of plush pillows. 

 Now where was I, she focuses on an article, then is interrupted once again by Alix's loud cackling.

 "That's it." Gertrude makes her way down the hall to her daughter's room, She opens the door slowly.

"No silly , you work too hard, I could help you with student council work Skip," Alix says sitting on her bed with her phone.

Skip sighs," That would be disastrous, if you joined we would have spitball club approved , yes I could see it  now  you would participate in such a juvenile activity."

 Alix chuckles. Gertrude stands by her daughter's bedside giving the teen the stink eye. 

 "Hun, you better not be talking to Skipper."  Alix turns away from her phone when she realized her mother was nearby. She places her phone aside glaring at her mother. 

 "Mom I'm not, it's Asher," Alix replies begrudgingly.

 "Oh, well try to keep it down,"  Gertrude demands.  Booming laughter from her daughter cuts her off. 

"Yes, I could picture you and your hooligan friends assembling a spitball firing squad. You rebels would pillage the cafeteria for straws." Skip says in a joking manner.

Alix was smiling then laughing. "Skip you're so ridiculous." A cheesy grin appears across the pinkette's face.

 " I just told you to keep it down," Gertrude says irritated. She pauses for a moment and just listens to her daughter giggling. Gertrude peers at the clock on her daughter's dresser next to the bed, it was only 10:30 pm and Alix was actually home. Gertrude notices how happy Alix seemed she hasn't seen her daughter this content in a long time, especially after the divorce or her brother's disappearance. 

 It's best I leave her alone, while she's enjoying herself why ruin the moment. Gertrude thought hobnobbing into her room.

"Skip I don't care I wanna see you," Alix says.

 " No, you can't,  Ah-choo." Skip sneezes on the phone.

 "Awwww you poor baby." Alix coos. 

Skip blushes on the phone. "You're getting sick," Alix says worried. She listens to her lover cough a few times.

 "I'll be fine love,"  Skip replies trying to reassure her girlfriend she would be fine.

Now that the winter months were on their way the nights would become colder than the days.  Skip had to stay at her late grandfather's place and with her grandmother away she was all alone in the old house.

 "I'm just gonna sneak out and see you," Alix suggest.

 "Do not come to my residence the temperature is quite harsh," Skip warns.

"Oh Skip." Alix whines.

"No your mother will be furious, now I know where you get your vigorous slapping from." Skip teased trying to make light out of a bad situation. Alix felt awful but she managed to chuckle a little. Time passed as both girls chatted for several hours.

"Skippy I love you." 

 Skip could hear her girlfriend's drowsy voice as she dozed off to sleep. Once Skip heard her girlfriend snoring she knew Alix had fallen asleep. 

 "Likewise,"  Skip replies into the receiver then ends the call.

Skip coughs constantly, with every cough she could feel her chest ache while her face felt swollen, her nose began to leak mucus and her sinuses were congested making it difficult to breathe.

 Skip bundles up the best she can under a pile of thin sheets and miscellaneous textiles. She felt even colder because she was sleeping on a  mattress that was on the floor. Skip wore a sweater and a thong, unfortunately, she lacked clothing and bedding in general. She did not want Alix to worry because she and her grandmother did not have enough money to buy food at this point.

Skip laid alone in her room that was dimly lit with a night light, She was frightened of the dark since childhood. Skip wished Alix was there to hold her close which always made her feel safe. She nestles down in her pillow wishing it was Alix's bosoms.

Skip hoped that Alix would continue to be in her life for years to come.

The next morning Alix opens her eyes to bright sunlight beaming through her windows filling her room with a warm glow. She leans up in bed eager to see her blue-haired babe more than usual.

Maybe I really want to see Skip more because mom said I wasn't allowed to see her and we're already dating in secret. Alix thought. Now their relationship was really on the down-low.

 Alix felt saddened that she would see her beloved Skip today but it would be in secret. She was not concerned with Gertrude seeing them. Alix figured her mother would be working late because of the holiday season. What bothered Alix most was the fact her mother threaten to contact the school to address their romantic relations.

Alix headed out the door to school. 

Alix's mother gets up out of bed turning off her alarm. She slowly drags her butt into the kitchen to prepare a coffee. Gertrude trudges about in her pink robe and slippers with a turkey mug in her hand.  She waddles to Alix's room to make sure her daughter actually left for school on time. Gertrude glances around her daughter's room, she notices a pile of messy papers on Alix's desk, Gertrude sips her coffee while taking a gander.

Alix's mother was surprised by what she found in her daughter's room. She spits out her coffee.