Chapter 1: It's Hard To Trust Others

E V A N N A

"She's awake!"

I slowly sat up, my whole body aching. IV's we're stuck in my arm, monitors surrounded me. A doctor rushed up to me.

"I'm Dr. May," she said. "How are you feeling?"

Memories rushed back to me.

Suicide attempt.

Jayden.

Jayden...

Tears welled in my eyes. I remembered now. We used to be best friends... We did everything together. How did everything go so wrong?

"It's okay," Dr. May assured. "You only passed out from exhaustion, lack of sleep, and yeah, but how are you feeling? Are you feeling okay?"

I didn't want to talk to anyone. I wanted to be by myself and sort everything out. I had to reprocess everything that happened.

"Evanna, is anything hurting?" She asked again. "It's okay if you don't want to answer right now. But I was informed this was your third suicide attempt, is that correct?"

I didn't want to talk about this. Not right now.

Dr. May gave me a small smile. "A therapist might help you. Do you want to try talking to—"

I shook my head slightly, leaning back against the raised bed. My head shot up as I heard the door being opened.

Ethan rushed in, his eyes wide. "E-Evanna!"

He ran over to me, and I accidentally flinched. I saw hurt flash in his eyes, but what did he expect? And then I started feeling bad again.

"Y-you're awake," He stammered. "How are you feeling? Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Brandon rushed in too, staring at me in shock. "Evanna..."

"Why would you try... and... and k-kill yourself?" Brandon asked, his voice full of pain. "Evanna, we care about you."

Don't believe them.

You can't trust them now.

They all stabbed you in the back.

They hurt you really badly.

They'll only betray you again.

I looked down, playing with my hands. I didn't want to talk. I couldn't talk. I just didn't want to say anything. It was like something was holding me back.

"J-Jayden?" Ethan muttered into the phone. "Evanna... she's awake— h-hello? J-Jayden?"

Jayden.

My best friend...

Best friends don't treat each other that way.

He abused you. He bullied you. He drove you to kill your self.

But... but he's my best friend. He didn't know.